Flywheel Cover

dave

From bits and bobs that ive already made on the printer i am hoping it should be as strong or even stranger than the standard one. I should get round to making the final one during next week, so next weekend it will be properly put to the test, and i will let you know how it goes.

If you need a real crash test dummy to try it out - send it to me :wacko:

I'm a toolmaker, i saw one of these printers at an exhibition at the NEC. bloody clever! was 'printing' a city map, with all buildings and contours on it, v.impressive!

I was at Hewlett-Packard's research labs in Bristol a while back and saw a large-scale 3D printer (as they called it) being tested. I don't know how the Dimension ones work, but the HP model used jets of molten plastic to build up the object being manufactured layer by layer so the end result is in effect identical to (and as strong as) an injection molded item.

Scarily, they're apparently working on a version that uses molten metal. They didn't say which metal but I like the idea of being able to "print" your own spare chassis and engine parts!

They would have to prove to me that is as strong as injection molded.

I've seen lots of parts that are made by rapid prototype and they are no where

near as strong as an injection molded part.

Dave, are these going to used directly off the 3d printer?

Is it ABS?

Some defense contractors now have the ability to "print", as neonsurge says, near-net parts using a robotic-controlled arm to spray molten titanium to "build up" the piece. All that's left is some finish machining to achieve tolerances on mating faces and the like. The idea being the ability to make some parts on an aircraft carrier without a full-blown machine shop and without having to stock lots of spares.

There's also metal injection molding. We've made some parts out of Stainless that were injection molded. Very interesting stuff. Stainless particles are mixed with plastic, injection molded, debinded and sintered. The shrinkage is probably at 10 to 20 %.

Can you post a bigger picture of it? The bike, not the lunch.

Sorry about getting off topic, Dave.

Do you have a website, Dave? I know you've made a lot of really trick items.

Edited by Brian R

Come on Dixie... we know you're a closet tech geek, just like the rest of us... the first step is admitting you have a problem - so OUT with it, we're here to support you. Your last post gave you away, '... bailer twine...' - hell, even the spelling of 'bailer' instead of the correct 'baler' is a failed attempt to disguise your love for high-tech... not to mention the fact that hay balers haven't used 'twine' since they went to round bales. Come out of the tech closet and revel in your geekiness - you pocket-protector wearing, java script writing tech-head! Wave your freak flag high!

Now where the hell is 'cider country' anyway?

Hey Dixie...if you believe in baler twine....AND cider both being mans best friend then you MUST be a true worzel!!!!!

BUT..I guess you're in SOmerset?...and we talks alot like what you do in 'erefordshire. (where I grew up..or tried to).((home of Bulmers))

What always puzzled me waz that we thought WE was the worzels in 'erefordshire..then I realized they talk like tha' in SOmerset too.

Now I live in 'ong Kong.........where I miss the old worzel twang.

Long live baler twine!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D