Pre-65 Scottish

highland lassie

well it aint no rocket science but if i were the ediburg clubs machine examiner i'd take a leaf out of my local post offices book they have a simple thing that decides how much you have to pay for a stamp. all you'd need for the pre 65 is a piece of stick 32 inches long and apiece of steel with a 35mm sq slot cut in it.. i cant honestly see anyone having chickens in thier wellies over it though..

Fork gaiters (disguisers) make it more difficult to measure diameter .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guy's

OK Mick,

B40, That is just what I thought .Stick gaiters on with jubilee clips, and you will have to remove them for the check?

Or do the forks get checked on the top part of the stanchion? If so, it would be NO problem to turn 1mm from this part of the fork if you were using forks from a Yam etc. GOV had this part of the fork turned down, to save weight! Minefield Ahy :thumbup:

Are, Wal Philips fuel injectors OK for the event????? :chairfall:

Regards Charlie.

Does anyone know if the Amal Concentric MK1 carb was available before the end of 1964 which is meant by Pre 65, were any bikes of the period fitted with the MK1 when new?

I think we all accept that bike developement/changes are somewhat negative to classic trials and should possibly be limited to a reliable ignition system, but the horse has bolted so it is far too late for that now.

Unfortunately all too few original bikes are in regular use now but surely the severity of the current sections are leading the way in encouraging changes to be made to the machines that are being ridden.

Edited by TrialsRfun

Does anyone know if the Amal Concentric MK1 carb was available before the end of 1964 which is meant by Pre 65, were any bikes of the period fitted with the MK1 when new?

I think we all accept that bike developement/changes are somewhat negative to classic trials and should possibly be limited to a reliable ignition system, but the horse has bolted so it is far too late for that now.

Unfortunately all too few original bikes are in regular use now but surely the severity of the current sections are leading the way in encouraging changes to be made to the machines that are being ridden.

Hi in regards to your question about the mk1 Amal development started in january 1964,in june 1966 examples were released to manufactures production was proposed for july 1966 and they were introduced to the public in august 1966 . From an article by Barry Johnston Amal development engineer.

Hi in regards to your question about the mk1 Amal development started in january 1964,in june 1966 examples were released to manufactures production was proposed for july 1966 and they were introduced to the public in august 1966 . From an article by Barry Johnston Amal development engineer.

Thank you for an enlightening reply, so the Amal MK1 Concentric is very definitely not Pre 65.

When riders of genuine classic pre65 bikes are not handicapped by section severity then and only then will modifications cease to be of importance to the outcome of the competition.

What is a genuine Pre65 classic? Riders were modifying their bikes back then so bikes being ridden were not as they left the factory. Sammy Miller modified his Ariel beyond all recognition from the bike sold over the counter. You couldn't buy it.

The point is that riders modify their bikes as they don't like the original design and have always looked to either improve the performance or alter it to suit their own preference or riding style.

The issue of section severity isn't an issue. There are trials all over the country for Pre65 with 2 or 3 routes so standard and modified bikes are catered for.

If all clubs ran single route dead easy Pre65 trials, the bikes would still be modified because that is what people do. The events are competitions, it may be amateur level, but they are still competitions and although people ride for fun, the fun is in the competition, either trying to win it outright or beating your mates. Sunday league football is anmateur and played for enjoyment, but it is still a competition and you don't see opposing players pulling out of tackles or scoring goals for each other. They want to win.

The Hoo-Ha over modifications is ridiculous. The eligibility criteria in many clubs' rules are misguided, some are plain daft, inconsistent and full of holes. The 'silhouette' philosophy is a total joke because some (a lot in fact) mods that are allowed look far less silhouette than componnents that are banned. For goodness sake, what is wrong with a MK1.5 Amal or Mikuni. It's not going to leap someone from 123rd place to winner is it...

Right, the rain has stopped so I can get back to the gardening.

fair points well made Woody. I can participate and compete in the clubman class, however on the experts route i'd have a much more physical experince. It is certainly the case that in the last 15 years that trials/ sections have become harder howver visit ANY pre 65/ classic . twinshock trial and the std/ quality of the bikes has leaped forward enourmously. i take my enjoyment from riding on a sunday and getting out in the garage as much as a wife two primary school kids work and two guinea pigs allow..

Hi Guy's.

So why are these not allowed?????????????????/

1962 Honda CB72 carb. :chairfall:

Regards Charlie.

Today's date notwithstanding it would be allowed according to the Rules, just not on a British bike. Must surely be deemed "equivalent to Mk1 Concentrics" if it preceded them by a few years?

Mention the word pre 65 and everyone starts moaning

I reckon the rules should state: if it sounds like a British bike, smells like one and looks like one, then it is one :thumbup:

Anyway, I think they have made the rules clear for this event, if you don

How many of these comments have made by people who have got a ride in Scotland? It seems to me that we have the same few who just like to talk the job down and have a moan about something that will not affect them (scare mongering) Any body that enters Scotland does so knowing what is required of them. The big problem as I see it, the organizers they have said they were going to do things in the past and haven