Chain Cleaning.

craftypiggy

I need to know how to clean my chain up properly, I have taken it off ready to do but it has grit and chain lube all over it, as to be expected really... I have tried scrubbing with degreaser, WD40 and a toothbrush with no avail. Is there a special trick to it?

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd ;)

I leave mine to soak, in a bowl of kerosine...and then brush it offf later. Works for me, but I know some people think I'm nuts....ie they think kerosine is not good for the chain. SO..wait to see what people say on here...I'm sure someone will have better advice! ;)

I let the chain soak in white gas (Coleman lantern fuel(very flamable USE ONLY OUT DOORS)) then use several rounds of Foamy Engine Bright and hot water. I dry the chain with a heat gun to get the water out and spray it with chain wax while it is still hot. Chain always looks brand new. I also clean the chain guides and the sprockets with an old sock. I twist the sock tightly and draw it between the teeth of the rear sprocket.

Here is a previous thread.

Ciao

DFW

Chain cleaning thread

I let the chain soak in white gas (Coleman lantern fuel(very flamable USE ONLY OUT DOORS)) then use several rounds of Foamy Engine Bright and hot water.  I dry the chain with a heat gun to get the water out and spray it with chain wax while it is still hot.  Chain always looks brand new.  I also clean the chain guides and the sprockets with an old sock.  I twist the sock tightly and draw it between the teeth of the rear sprocket.

Here is a previous thread.

Ciao

DFW

Chain cleaning thread

;) Sod that, I jet wash the chain, ride it a few minutes to get the water off, spray some WD40 or chain wax on and that's it.

I'd rather fit a new chain every 6 months than p*** about wiping it's a*** for a year :D

I know nobody has said this so I am probably wrong, but I tried using chain wax and WD40, chain wax was rubbish and made a mess, even the spray stuff, WD40 has no lubricating effect. I also tried dunking the chain in gearbox oil. All worked but not very well. I now use this really sticky spray on chain lube, it is industrial stuff which we actually got for out steam lorry drive chains. The thing is not to spray on too much or it will go everywhere but just spray enough on and it wil lget into your chain before it thickens and gets really sticky. But you need to make sure that your chain is reasonably clean or it will not get into the chain and that is when it starts to fling everywhere, you need to degrease your chain when you get mud sticking to it. I used this stuff on my sherco and the chain lasted over two years, although it was really knacked by that time.

Often the cheapo sticky lube is the best stuff but it will go everywhere if you put too much on!

Edited by bob

Surely the whole point is for the chain to last a year and NOT be totally knackered!!

Also, and I know this might be a very minor point, but if people prefer non O-ring chains for trials because of their lower rolling resistance, why go gumming up the chain with something at least as cohesive as a rubber O-ring???

Still think heavy lubricants will always have the potential to turn into grinding paste when you add mud / grit to it.....