Clonking from front end?

smallboy

Hi all

I had a hard fall with the bike going down a 12ft drop,flipping over several times.I rode it today foe the first time to notice a clonking sound when i push the forks up and let them rebound,with the front brake applied,if the the brake is off there is no clonk,forks seem fast to rebound.

I have checked handlebars/top yoke,fork legs,triple clamps and front brake disc caliper,all are tight.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David

Put front wheel against a wall and then try compressing forks to establish if its forks or brake system. From here yer on yer on own.

Sorry but its how id tackle it. If it is brakes as you think then remove caliper and check the bolts n pins.

Best of luck

Edited by smalley250

Hi all

I had a hard fall with the bike going down a 12ft drop,flipping over several times.I rode it today foe the first time to notice a clonking sound when i push the forks up and let them rebound,with the front brake applied,if the the brake is off there is no clonk,forks seem fast to rebound.

I have checked handlebars/top yoke,fork legs,triple clamps and front brake disc caliper,all are tight.

Any ideas?

Cheers

David

When you push down with the brake on, check to see if there is any relative movement between the lower fork yoke and the steering head frame. You can get a clonking sound if the steering head bearings are loose, though I am not sure how a fall would have done that.

regards Martin

I have had this on my Evo and it was the headstock bearing adjustment.

If you back off the top (big alloy lock nut) and then tighten the castellated nut with a soft drift or C spanner, and then back it off a little, you will find this cures it.

Make sure the steering is still free by turning the hanlebars side to side.

Good luck..

i would strip it down and fit a grease nipple whilst you have it in bits

then after few power washes a quick squirt of grease and it forces the water

back out of you headstock

jsp

Have had that on several Rev3s. The steering head bearings races can be driven deeper into the aluminum head stock requiring a tighten. Loosen the triple clamps on the forks and chase the clamps together with the top nut on the stem being careful not to strip the threads. Yeah nerve wracking. Turn the clamps and feel for smooth action. If you feer ripples the bearing races may be damaged from the impact. One otger thing I had cause a clunk was the hole on the top clamp where the shaft comes through was machined a tiny bit too big. A couple wraps of teflon plumbers tape cured it.

If you've had a pretty Narly off. I would honestly Strip the front end down, have a look at your Fork Stanchiens make sure there not bent slightly. At the same time just remove your Triple clamps and genrally have look around.

Possible something may have slightley bent, or crushed the Steering bearings.

you may find something has been knocked out of place slightley, and when you release/Remove the Bolts, what ever it maybe will straighten back up. If that makes sense!

Hard to say without looking at it. :thumbup:

Thats a great idea,any picures,info on drill size/is the grease nipple self tapping?

i just bought the nipples from a local bolt shop m6 and then drill a 5mm hole

(i think) and tap it out

jsp