TR 280

neo

air temp sensor fitted on the air filter just before the reed valve.

air pressure sensor fitted on the air box but getting it reading from a tube routed to just above the rad.

there also a engine temp sensor and of course RPM and timing being monitored

computer does the rest.

cheers

Will the 2012 OSSA have a lighter clutch and better access to the air filter.

I think that this is an awesome bike, but those to areas in the 2011 model was not good.

And yes I did own a 2011 OSSA and really want to get the 2012 model is these areas have been looked at

Will the 2012 OSSA have a lighter clutch and better access to the air filter.

I think that this is an awesome bike, but those to areas in the 2011 model was not good.

And yes I did own a 2011 OSSA and really want to get the 2012 model is these areas have been looked at

QUOTE 2012....

New plastics include radiator protectors, which channel the air to the radiator, the frame trims, the exhaust protectors and a completely new airbox cover. This presents direct admission air intakes that provides fresh air in all circumstances. Also, its new radiator outtake holes make the air circulation easier, improving the engine performance.

So on the Air filter ...Maybe! :rolleyes:

Best of balance.

Neo

Had a good time on the weekend, managed to get a bit of a ride on the Ossa. The power from the Ossa's engine is excellent and not snappy like my 250, you can just chug chug chug up slippery loose hills almost like a 4 stroke. It starts easy and first kick everytime.

There were a couple of issues that came to light. The clutch & front brake are running the smaller AJP master cylinders on the bars and combined with much longer AJP levers took a bit of getting used to. I don't know if it's because of the smaller cyclinder or the design but the clutch had drag, not terribly bad but with the clutch all the way in as soon as you put it into gear the idle dropped and it sometimes stalled if you didn't keep the revs up. I found it ok to deal with but it still stalled occasionally. You can't just up the idle, because it needs a computer to do this. I would say that the clutch feels more like the old school hydro clutches or a nice light cable clutch. It was not as good as the sherco, no matter how we adjusted it.

I went up a loose hillclimb and it went "rev rev... glug glug... stall" and died on me. I couldn't get it to start so i coasted down to the flat where it took half a dozen kicks then fired up but sounded a bit off. We gave her a solid rev and bit of gunk came out and it sounded great again. It needed this another 1 or 2 times during the day.

The owner rode mine and said that he wished the ossa had a clutch like the sherco. I hope it's just got to wear in or there is adjustment/fixes for it because the clutch is the only thing holding the bike back.

cheers

the clutch is the only thing holding the bike back.

I second that opinion. :agreed:

The 2012 has new clutch plates but my guess is they need to upgrade that master cylinder. That will make the clutch a bit heavier but it'll be well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for sharing this with us Samy.

Best of balance.

Neo

Any time I've ridden a Ossa the clutch hasn't been a issue, I'm sure it's a set up thing as it's much the same as a gas gas.

I thought the first pro model gas gas clutch was like a light switch but the second ride I had on it was much better after the owner had done some adjustment, his is the Ossa I've ridden a couple of times

I guess it depends on what you are used to. But to get a 2011 Ossa clutch just like a Sherco clutch will definitely take more than just a simple adjustment.

By design it's a clutch unit with central spline levers (which provides that smooth engagement) .... But that design will take more more physical travel (movement) of the slave cylinder piston to engage and disengage. I guess al this is why they are set up "on the point of dragging" from the factory.

Best of balance.

Neo

I have found no problems at all with the gentle nature of the clutch engagement. From new just a small adjustment to get the engagement point I am comfortable with was required.

I find it is a little firmer than the 2011 Gas Gas but nothing that needs component changes.

Samy you will find you can increase the idle with a long pointy nose pair of pliers with the adjustment screw tucked in behind the petrol tank.... easy fix.

Steering lock is the only down side I have found and that looks to have been addressed on the new 2012 arriving in a couple of weeks.

Suspension from new was very tight and took quite a few riding hours to loosen up.

The OSSA Clutch has a good feel, bit heavy and bit hard to set. Would you be able to use a good synthetic ATF to lighten the pull. I put that in my new Sherco 250 and it made a huge difference. Clutch was really good at our last club trial, no grabbing or slip - mind you I only ride Clubman.

The OSSA Clutch has a good feel, bit heavy

This is interesting Mark because I didn't really find the clutch heavy on the Ossa and as a comparison I currently ride a Sherco 250 too ... Hmmm... might be more to this than meets the eye I think <_<

Best of balance.

Neo