08 Gaser Pro

legionnair

I have new rear bearings, installed. My question is how long do your bearings seem to last. I am getting about 4 months out of a rear pair, I ride every weekend. Does this seem like normal amount of time for bearings to last and has anyone converted there rear wheel to 4 bearings?

thanks

Dustin

I have new rear bearings, installed. My question is how long do your bearings seem to last. I am getting about 4 months out of a rear pair, I ride every weekend. Does this seem like normal amount of time for bearings to last and has anyone converted there rear wheel to 4 bearings?

thanks

Dustin

They seem a little short lived. Be sure to re-pack the new bearings with grease and tighten the rear axle to 30-37 Ft lbs (40-50 Nm). You may want to check the axle with a torque wrench to avoid the unecessary side load on the bearing caused by over-tightening.

Jon

I assume you remove the inside seal as not to disturb the outter seal and what do you recommend for a grease. Onhand I have Lucas red and tacky grease would that do the trick.

Thanks for the advice

Dustin

Edited by legionnair

I assume you remove the inside seal as not to disturb the outter seal and what do you recommend for a grease. Onhand I have Lucas red and tacky grease would that do the trick.

Thanks for the advice

Dustin

I usually remove both seals carefully with a dental pick and put a mixture of 70% waterproof grease and 30% anti-seize in. The anti-seize helps prevent galling in thin lubrication conditions. I use BelRay motorcycle grease but there are others that work well. Not all grease resists water well so make sure it's water tolerant. I probably get 12X the life from my bearings that you were getting.

Now and then, when I have the wheels off, I'll remove the outer seal to see if a little more grease is needed.

Most of the bearings we use are made for higher RPM's/temps/less shock loads and less moisture than they see being used in a wheel and you'll be surprized at how little grease is in some bearings to start with.

Thanks Jon

I will check the grease I have or pick up some up thats more water tolerant.

I dont use a pressure washer or degreaser, so cant be that.

Dustin

Be sure to try a torque wrench on the axle just to "feel" how tight it should go

in the future. A lot of riders (myself included at times) tend to think that more

is better when tightening fasteners and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has

snapped off a bolt head in the past....:)

Jon

I usually remove both seals carefully with a dental pick and put a mixture of 70% waterproof grease and 30% anti-seize in. The anti-seize helps prevent galling in thin lubrication conditions. I use BelRay motorcycle grease but there are others that work well. Not all grease resists water well so make sure it's water tolerant. I probably get 12X the life from my bearings that you were getting.

Now and then, when I have the wheels off, I'll remove the outer seal to see if a little more grease is needed.

Most of the bearings we use are made for higher RPM's/temps/less shock loads and less moisture than they see being used in a wheel and you'll be surprized at how little grease is in some bearings to start with.

So I repacked the bearings and just for your info check out the Lucas grease

http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/product.asp?id=11&cat=PowerSports

I am using koyo bearings and I used a torque wrench today and it is abit tighter than I had torqued it to by hand

Dustin

Edited by legionnair