300 4t v 250/290 2t

danbeaven

Hi all am considering getting a evo 300 4t after years of riding beta rev 2t.

what things should I know/look for (it's a used bike) and what do people find as pros/cons against the 2t model? I remeber riding a 250 4t, which was good, but just way too tame/soft for my riding.

On the other hand never found my 250 2 stroke lacking anywhere.

Ride expert mainly south/south east/south west club/centre events

Hi Dan,

Sorry, can't really help you. However, I frequently find myself asking similar questions...

The (quite correct) answer that is usually offered is "try the bikes for yourself and see which you prefer", however I find serious limitations to that approach. Basically because my riding time is so seriously limitted. I ride trials and at no other time. And usually I am under pressure to head off as soon as I can after each trial. I rarely have a lot of spare time to cadge a ride. I've also found that the year specifics of bikes change the charachter quite a lot too,so riding (for example) a 2004 rev 3 250 at a trial did not bear any similarity to the 2006 250 I rode another day!

What I'd love is a nice handy table of comments on the various bikes that allows us mortals to narrow our search. I know there are no static frames of reference, but some helpful comment about power delivery etc would really help!

Anyone share this view? Be great to get a sticky up...

Graham

.....What I'd love is a nice handy table of comments on the various bikes that allows us mortals to narrow our search. I know there are no static frames of reference, but some helpful comment about power delivery etc would really help!

Anyone share this view? Be great to get a sticky up...

Graham

:thumbup: Yup,I know what you mean,but the problem is all down to someone else's perspective :icon_salut:

Agreed, but at the moment there's precious little, so anything may help.

Comments such that I'd make about my 2001 Rev3 might be:

"Engine is soft, but not overly so. I rode a 2004 bike that was far, far softer and I couldn't get on with it. A 2006 bike I rode was much snappier, and again I found this hard work. On standard gearing most trials around the south midlands (Cambridge Matchless, Nene Valley) are 1st gear affairs unless it's slippery, and it will rev out these climbs ok in 1st. 3rd is as much as I've ever needed when it's gloopier, and I find there's more than enough power. I ride the clubman route and my style is reasonably gentle. The riding position is a little front biased and the front feels a little more secure to my 6' 14stone frame than a similar year gasgas. The brakes are a Beta foible; great when they are working, but getting air out of the rear in particular is a right pain. It eats rear pads with my heavy right foot. As with all Betas, it leaks petrol and can stop on descents. I have ridden them for years and tend to hold the rpm up a bit on the way down hills..."

That sort of thing...

We're all quite good at separating the wheat from the chaff and deciding what is relevant and important to us.

Graham

Hi Dan,

Can I suggest that you try a fully run in 2011 250 4T ? (if you were in Halifax you could try mine out for size - tho its not for sale !)

New out of the box feel to fully run in feel are two different things !

I have one and I can honestly say its the BEST bike I have ridden. A few guys I know have bought the 300 4T and have struggled to get on top of them (the one guy who has is a pretty handy rider who rides a bit like he has just stole it style ! :hyper: )

The 4T's do have a mapping switch to alter the feel of the engine AND a lot of owners (myself included) have dropped one tooth on the front sprocket - this has a calming effect to the feel of the bike.... kinda makes stuff happen that little bit slower ! (I like that :thumbup: )

Four strokes will always feel slower than a 2 stroke I'd say but you will get used to this.

A friends 2009 Evo 250 4T feels different to mine so maybe the one you tried wasnt illustrative to what they can be like.

For what you describe you ride a 250 4T would be a great bike - in the end its down to you though !

Good luck !

GAW.

Edited by Scoobydo

Hi Dan,

Can I suggest that you try a fully run in 2011 250 4T ? (if you were in Halifax you could try mine out for size - tho its not for sale !)

New out of the box feel to fully run in feel are two different things !

I have one and I can honestly say its the BEST bike I have ridden. A few guys I know have bought the 300 4T and have struggled to get on top of them (the one guy who has is a pretty handy rider who rides a bit like he has just stole it style ! :hyper: )

The 4T's do have a mapping switch to alter the feel of the engine AND a lot of owners (myself included) have dropped one tooth on the front sprocket - this has a calming effect to the feel of the bike.... kinda makes stuff happen that little bit slower ! (I like that :thumbup: )

Four strokes will always feel slower than a 2 stroke I'd say but you will get used to this.

A friends 2009 Evo 250 4T feels different to mine so maybe the one you tried wasnt illustrative to what they can be like.

For what you describe you ride a 250 4T would be a great bike - in the end its down to you though !

Good luck !

GAW.

You can, but my budget won't run to an 2011 bike unles it's a second hand two stroke. And also, I'm a bigger framed guy, plus I think I'll need all the ponies I can get with my riding style!

anymore verdicts? I know I need to try before I buy, but not getting to many events at moment I don't really get the opportunity! I rode a 4rt for a bit when they first came out and did alright with that until it came to snotty wet chalk and my heavy right fist! then it was back to beta 2t!

has the 300 got enough grunt? some have said it's a bit snappy off the bottom? but is that jetting?

Dan

I ride a 300 4 stroke and im 15 stone the bike has more than enough power to take me anywhere i want to go ( and places i dont ha ha ) and in any gear you never need more than half throttle even on the biggest hills, its both smooth and responsive you also have the advantage of engine braking so your not diving for the brake all the time you just shut the throttle off im trying to sort out a TTT silencer they are expensive but had one on my 08 4 stroke and it made an amazing difference with the smoothness and power delivery ,but with everything its down to personal choice for me its 4 stroke all the way

i love my 2010 300cc beta evo 4 banger, miles easier to ride than the 4rts i have had and i even tried

a gas gas raga and i found i couldnt ride it, i then went to a 300cc rev 4 and that was good but

the evo blows that out of the water. there smooth, powerfull and have the feeling of being light

jsp

Agreed, just bought one and the thing is awesome! Powerful and smooth and a nice balance between modern and classic handling! Anyone have any tips on set up? jetting and/or suspension feel like they could do with a little tweaking?

Agreed, just bought one and the thing is awesome! Powerful and smooth and a nice balance between modern and classic handling! Anyone have any tips on set up? jetting and/or suspension feel like they could do with a little tweaking?

Adjust the suspension static sag to 1/3 sag front and rear when you are standing on it - be mm accurate!. Jetting is lean in the mid range to pass Euro emissions so raise the needle (i went all the way up). Get a Jitsie fuel mix screw and try lots of different settings to get you fav pick-up & anti stall setting. Keep up with the greasing of parts - do one area every other month and it isn't a big task (wheels pop bearing seals off, swing arm, head stock, linkages etc etc)

lampkins advised me to turn the mixture screw (on the bottom of the carb)

out 3 1/2 turns but leave the jetting alone, and

so far so good, i prefer a higher tick over which

aids starting and removes any fluffyness at the bottom

end. as for the suspension i got a heavier rear spring

from steve saunders and he advised me on the correct set

up for my body weight. jobs a good en !!!

jsp