Removing The Chain

gregkabob

OK, I'm the newb. How do I get the chain off? I'm told there's no master link on these chains. Right? Does the swing arme have to come off to get the chain off?

My chain has all kinds of chain lube juck accumulated on it and I want to clean it good. (I bought the bike used).

Thanks ALL!

Edited by gregkabob

If there is no split tink then cut it off and get a new chain but there should be one! Make sure that you put the chain back on the correct way, i.e. closed end of clip facing in direction chain goes.

I've seen a few bikes with riveted chains. If you don't want to trash the chain for whatever reason, grind the link pins off with a Dremel, use a chain breaker, clean the chain (see elsewhere for cleaning recommendations) then refit with a split link. Having said that, if the chain's old and even partially worn, it's probably a better idea to fit a new one. Trials chains are cheap (compared to the

I have been riding and selling Beta Since 1984 and have never seen a chain on a Beta With out a masterlink The clip could quite possibly be on the inside as stated before

Ron Commo Jr

BetaUSA :wacko:

If the chain has a rivet link fitted - find the rivet link - the one that looks different to the rest is the best description & grind off the end of the 'pins' then use a screwdriver to pry the chain apart (cheaper than a chain braker & does the same job? Then get a split link to suit the chain from your local dealer - otherwise get another rivet link & re-rivet the chain.

If you intend refitting the chain (without splitting the chain!) the easiest way is to pull the swinging arm pivot bolt out, let the chain pass the swinging arm pivot then remove the back wheel spindle & remove chain complete. Clean it then refit - it also lets you grease the swinging arm pivot!

Edited by g4321

Maybe it's just that I love tools, but a proper chain breaker is pretty cheap (think they're like $25 Cnd here) and will last a lifetime. I've had mine for well over 20yrs and still going strong. Handy for breaking endless chains, and also for cutting new chain to fit. No counting links and getting the dealer to cut it only to find it's too short or long. Just buy the standard length and cut to fit...particularly nice when changing gearing.

Why bother to take the chain off for cleaning at all? Only thing you need to is apply some good water soluble degreaser with a stiff brush, working it into the chain until the grease starts to come off, then powerwash, and finally blow of excess water with an air-line, finally spraying on some WD40 to prevent rusting. Takes half the time, and works just as well as removing chain for cleaning.

Yeah but it's not near as much fun as my method which involves an electric drill, bucket of solvent, Foamy Engine Bright spray, hot water, heat gun, hot chain, and spray wax.

Doug Wilson

Yeah but it's not near as much fun as my method which involves an electric drill, bucket of solvent, Foamy Engine Bright spray, hot water, heat gun, hot chain, and spray wax.

Doug Wilson

And then he goes and cleans the chain.