Tiger Cub clutch

trialsrfun

Hi

I have just bought a Cub here in the UK and it has the Armac conversion on it which gives a very light feel and is excellent. I also have a Cub in Australia which has had a modification done to it which gives a clutch just about as light as the Armac and costs very little in comparison.

The mod was done by an old friend of mine, Chris Leighfield who was an engineer in his working career but who died a few weeks ago in Australia. I gave him the project when he was in the latter days of his illness and he made an excellent job of it. What he did was to modify the clutch operating lever to produce a similar affect as the Armac. It involved cutting and rebending the lever to give greater leverage with less effort, the problem is that I don't have the drawings with me but some engineering minded enthusiasts will understand what I'm talking about and be able to help.

Another friend of mine, Shane Barnes, moved over to Aus some months ago and took an Armac Cub with him and he was amazed how light my clutch was compared to his.

Its worth thinking about.

Cheers

Having read what TrialsRfun has written about the clutch lightener by ARMAC I have fit one and it was easy to fit. The lightener was designed by a person that puts a lot of research into his products and are all field tested before release. As for oil coming though the gear shaft he needs to spend more time maintaining the gearbox, the clutch lightener will not fix a gear box with worn out bushes or worn main shaft, these need to be sorted before you can move forward.

I am considering one of these for my Triumph Cub,

http://www.armac-design.com/Armac_Design/Clutch_Lightener.html

The clutch conversion is quite an expensive option and I am not too unhappy with the operation of the clutch as it is but oil is leaking from the gearbox shaft and I wondered if this would also help put a stop to that problem.

The only time I have seen oil leak from the main shaft is when the oil level is too high. In your question you did ask whether it would help to stop the oil leak it might on the timing side as it blanks it off. When a cub is put together well it does hold its oil well. Which side is the oil leaking from and can you see it coming from the main shaft?

• 2 weeks later...

Also worth considering Alan Whitton's mod. I am at the final stages of assembling my Cub with Alans mod already done. He machines the case to accept an ecentric bush. This allows you to extend the clutch rod operating lever which in turn makes it lighter to operate. I don't know if anyone else has tried this.

Bruce.

Also worth considering Alan Whitton's mod. I am at the final stages of assembling my Cub with Alans mod already done. He machines the case to accept an ecentric bush. This allows you to extend the clutch rod operating lever which in turn makes it lighter to operate. I don't know if anyone else has tried this.

Bruce.