Trail boots, suitable?

tufty

I'm just starting out, have some some old Novogar trail boots (sort of MX boots with a trials type flat sole). They're pretty stiff, will they be any good or will I need specific trials boots to get going? Ta.

There's no substitute for real trials boots.

Trail boots will protect you well enough but you lose much of the feel of the machine. Remember there's a lot of walking in trials and trail boots tend to be too stiff to make that comfortable. Also make sure there are no steel bits like caps on the front of the boot sole as you may need to dab on a rock and having the boot slip is almost a guaranteed crash.

There's no substitute for real trials boots.

Trail boots will protect you well enough but you lose much of the feel of the machine. Remember there's a lot of walking in trials and trail boots tend to be too stiff to make that comfortable. Also make sure there are no steel bits like caps on the front of the boot sole as you may need to dab on a rock and having the boot slip is almost a guaranteed crash.

Thought as much, there is a steel front sole protector too so they can go on Ebay and I'll get a pair of trial boots. Cheers for the reply.

I've got the Diadoras. They feel OK but the soles are stiffer then the Gaerne and have less feel. Front stitching also ripped in the first few weeks on one boot. Other then that they've been fine. Next boots will be back to Gaerne though.

Ended up wearing them today (had to as I only got shipped one boot, there must be a one-legged trials rider somewhere..) after taking the steel toe caps off. Didn't feel too bad but it was my first outing.

My advice, don't get the white SIDI's they look like crap in about a week. I've had white Tech 8 MX boots for about 4 years and they come up as good as new but I have to dye the SIDI's black to try and them to look decent, the leather has just scuffed away, and I think I am pretty light on my footwear!