Moon race fans

toofasttim

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any of you fellas know why the first stage F-1s on the Saturn V was kerosene fuelled but the other J-2 stages were Hydrogen fuelled?

Just wondering?

...keep it simple :rolleyes:

Any of you fellas know why the first stage F-1s on the Saturn V was kerosene fuelled but the other J-2 stages were Hydrogen fuelled?

Just wondering?

So it keeps the heavy end down and the thing pointed up, twit! Hydrogen has a negative weight don't you know! This is not a Lawn Dart! :thumbup:

Edited by copemech

Just wondering?

First stage is burnt in our atmosphere and the second stage is burnt in space.

Which button do I push?

post-75-0-96018100-1306213611.jpg

So it keeps the heavy end down and the thing pointed up, twit! Hydrogen has a negative weight don't you know! This is not a Lawn Dart! :thumbup:

Doh! Should have guessed. Although the stability control system should be able to compensate for that.

Right?..so it's just a payload/weight issue....I see...I think ? :blink: ?

No, lower centre of gravity (which a heavier fuel will give you) will result in more stability. Could also be that the parafin/kerosene gives more energy per kg burned than hydrogen. This is important when you need to overcome air resistance and gravity. It would also help that the heaviest part is dumped first.

Edited by TooFastTim

No, lower centre of gravity (which a heavier fuel will give you) will result in more stability. Could also be that the parafin/kerosene gives more energy per kg burned than hydrogen. This is important when you need to overcome air resistance and gravity. It would also help that the heaviest part is dumped first.

So it's a density/volume/ energy conundrum?

Er..so we are we talking about 'high specific impulse' values of propellants?

I was more inclined to think that suitable insulation of the cryogen from those 5 mighty F-1 torches was the main reason? as RP-1 (Kerosene) has a much higher boil-off point than liquid hydrogen.

I always thought liquid methane was the boyo !... but what do I know?

Note as attached to above, same principals apply to Kerosene, yet at some point one also gets into the the freezepoints and flowpoints of the fuels in a sub zero environment I would think.

The more I think about this, it raises the question of weather H2 requires a warmup after a cold soak in a lunar orbit and prior to a return burst? I have not researched this at all. Just throwing it out as food for thought. :rolleyes:

What is the temp of space? :thumbup:

Where? Varies but around 20K in the shade. Then again you can't really talk about the temp of space. Temp is a measure of energy in matter. Space is (more-or-less) a vacuum. So it doesn't really have a temp. But radiation can cause temperature.

Bearing Copeys post in mind I'll amend this to: Could also be that the parafin/kerosene gives more energy per gallon burned than hydrogen.

Note as attached to above, same principals apply to Kerosene, yet at some point one also gets into the the freezepoints and flowpoints of the fuels in a sub zero environment I would think.

Never mind sub-zero space :blink: , remember what happens when there's a touch of moisture in this here kerosene stuff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8504734.stm

They were never that hot, even in their heyday ( is that you Cope at No. 69?)

In direct sunlight: anything up to sun%20emoticon.png?1284461435120c and in the shade :hyper: : anything down to -270cwww.MessenTools.com-Cold-Congelado-Gorro.gif