"Can you weld this bracket on?"

kinell

"Mini-K' dropped his Rev 50 yesterday and snapped the exhaust off its bracket."

:rotfl::rotfl: wonder who he learned that off, did you show him how to take it off with just a BFH and no spanner's

John boy will be a bit miffed you fixed it and didn't cross his palms with silver for a new un.

"Mini-K' dropped his Rev 50 yesterday and snapped the exhaust off its bracket."

:rotfl::rotfl: wonder who he learned that off, did you show him how to take it off with just a BFH and no spanner's

John boy will be a bit miffed you fixed it and didn't cross his palms with silver for a new un.

Hmm, I did wonder the same thing when he 'parked' up!

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/36299-7-year-old-son-advice-please/

Looks like the lad has given you new enthusiasm, you need to feed him more, he'll need it if he's going to be pulling his old man out of holes all day.

If he's a sharp learner he will soon think sod him he got it in there.

I am capable of welding steel and I have welded aluminum a couple of times and I can offer some explanation.....more experienced welders can correct me if they want.

There are 3 ways to weld aluminum that I know of. You can do it with a Tig Welder, a Mig Welder, or if you are very talented you can use a torch.

The Tig welder is the method of choice and it makes the nicest looking welds. It can get heat to aluminum very quickly and the weld is started by melting the aluminum until it becomes molten and flows together - then a filler rod of aluminum is used to create the bead/fillet. The heat can be controlled with a foot pedal and the trick is to heat it the metal up until it flows - then melt in rod to build a strong weld. You don't need to add much filler rod as you can control the flow by regulating the heat.

The Mig welder does not work nearly as well on aluminum as it does on steel - as the aluminum carries the heat away to fast to allow the arc to penetrate very deep. The aluminum carries the heat away from the weld so quickly that there is little penetration(flow) of the parent metal and you get a lot of metal built up top of the base metal.

Gas welding is similar to the Tig method - but I believe it is much harder to control the heat as you cannot vary the flame while welding.

I believe the method that was used for your repair was the Mig welder. It will probably hold fine - but is certainly not the method that provides the best looking welds.

Looks like the lad has given you new enthusiasm, you need to feed him more, he'll need it if he's going to be pulling his old man out of holes all day.

If he's a sharp learner he will soon think sod him he got it in there.

He said he's riding the SSDT in 2019 to celebrate Mairi's 30th! :D

That weld does look rough but as long as it does the job who really cares ?

Ali is nice to weld as long as it's clean.

When you see the molten pool start to distort slightly all the heat pulls the crap from the inside of the exhaust to the surface and can turn a 5 minute job into an hour trying to fill the holes back in !

• 2 months later...