Shoulder replacement

hughesy

I'm due to go in for a shoulder replacement(copeland) shortly due to severe osteoarthritis, what I would like to know is, has anyone else has had this operation and managed to get back on a bike? How long did it take, do you have any tips on pre/post op treatment, exercises, slings etc? For info I'm 39 ( which is young for a replacement apparently) and will be treated by Professor Len Funk.

I'm due to go in for a shoulder replacement(copeland) shortly due to severe osteoarthritis, what I would like to know is, has anyone else has had this operation and managed to get back on a bike? How long did it take, do you have any tips on pre/post op treatment, exercises, slings etc? For info I'm 39 ( which is young for a replacement apparently) and will be treated by Professor Len Funk.

I'd say your looking at a minimum of 6 months of, maybe longer depending on your diet and how well you respond to rehab. By the end of 6 weeks you will be working back to having full range of movement and some strength that feels close to normal.

Do not push it, the shoulder is the most mobile joint you have, because of this its not very congruent. When you compare it to the hip for example which is a deep socket and also covered in ligaments to help its stability. The shoulder needs to be mobile so is a less deep and relies on the muscles etc to act as support.

These muscles have to provide stability as well as movement so as you can imagine rehabbing one is a tricky balancing act. You'll need to initially relearn positional (or postural) awareness as well as how to set the scapula (check youtube so you really know what the physio expects you to do). You'll need to avoid excessive movements (I won't mention which as it'll be hard to know what I mean online and you'll be shown what to avoid) Do not test their limits.

Dietary wise, I always increase Glycine and Zinc which always get depleted after surgery and help with speeding the healing up. I take my glycine via a gelatin supplement which contains all the amino acids I want but in particular is high in glycine.

Funk has a good reputation, but hopefully this helps you know what your walking into. If you need any advice just let me know. I'm sat here recovering myself.

I have had 7 left knee operations and a major on my right shoulder. since 2008 both joints I'm told need replacement, I just have to say the word. Luckily I practice Bikram Yoga and I am pain free. Yoga is also a perfect fit to maximize your physical prep for trials. I haven't had a cortisone shot in years. good luck

Thanks for the replies lads, special thanks to Billy Craig for such a detailed and informative reply, although I was worried about your comment about my diet as it's probably not the best at the minute! I may well be in touch when I get a date for the op.

Iain, thanks for the support and well done for finshing the Scottish after all your Shoulder injuries. Are you riding this weekend at Perth?

Thanks for the replies lads, special thanks to Billy Craig for such a detailed and informative reply, although I was worried about your comment about my diet as it's probably not the best at the minute! I may well be in touch when I get a date for the op.

Iain, thanks for the support and well done for finshing the Scottish after all your Shoulder injuries. Are you riding this weekend at Perth?

No worries mate, am non weight bearing for another 4 weeks I think. Proper bored of it now :wall: The better your diet before and after surgery the quicker and stronger you'll repair. Think of it like having a new wall built, if the builders not got the materials your wall will be delayed as would your repair. If he buys shoddy materials it may not last.

Your body will scavenge collegen etc to do as good a job as it can but now is really the time to look after yourself and eat as well as you can. No need to be strict, just eat well and it'll pay of.

Let us all know how it goes, its always useful for others to hear what its actually like just in case we go down that road.

• 1 year later...

I Just thought I'd post a brief update after having my final review with Prof Funk today and being discharged.

In summary I had the op August 2011 ( aged 39), they found a lot more damage when they went in resulting in a Bicep tendonisis, AC joint Excision, AC Decompression and a Shoulder resurfacing ( Copeland Cap).

Initial progress was very slow and extremely frustrating, I was off work for 3 months.

After 6 months I binned the NHS physio as I was getting nowhere and after trying different private physios luckily stumbled on a chap called Rob Wilson who was ex Leeds Rhinos physio. I then started making real measurable progress increasing strength and range of movement on a weekly basis.

I started swimming (breast stroke) at around 5 months and this helped developed strength further eventually leading to a reasonable front crawl.

I started messing on a mountain bike at around 6 months and was on my trials bike at 8 months and competed in my first trial at 10 months. At 12 months I was able complete a full days offroad riding on a 450KTM EXC F in Portugal whilst on holiday ( highly recommended by the way) I'm not riding to same level I was but I have a smile on my face and I was no Toni Bou anyway!

I'm now 15 months post op and was today described by Prof Funk to a student Doctor as an example of an excellent Shoulder resurfacing with the range of movement I now had. The bad news was that when I told him what I'd been doing, MTB'ing,trials etc and that I was planning to buy an enduro bike he pointed out that with careful management the replacement could last a lifetime but if I was to abuse it then it would lead to premature wear and require rework.

My advice to anyone about undergo a similar procedure is that it is a long slow process and requires LOTS of physio which is repetitive and boring but ultimately will pay dividends. Also have realistic goals and appreciate what you've got instead of dwelling on what you haven't.

Finally,thanks again to Billycraig for his advice which I did my best to heed.

Edited by hughesy

Great update, thanks! I am 3.5 months into a recovery from a broken shoulder joint and dislocation. Got back on the trials bike after 2 months and a week and enduro bike at exactly 3 months. The shoulder feels good and apart from a small bit of range and a small bit of strength feels almost normal again. I recon another 3 months and I'll be completely back to normal.

I took supplements as well, my wife is a therapist and also saw the physio regularly. All really helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting topic for me, Hughesy,in that I have polyosteoarthritis,and osteoarthritis in both shoulders and ac joints.I was riding pre 65 trials regulary until 9 months ago.must say iam addicted to the sport,and find it very frustrating that i can no longer compete,due to the pain and damage the arthritis is causeing to my shoulder tendons. My surgen is Mr Tang at Airedale,and says my left shoulder needs replacement,but he does not want to opperate because Iam to young at 52 years old,his reason being that the joint replacement would not last if used at a level i would expect from it. He aiso said I would not have much more movement than i have now,which is less than 50%,and that iwould not be able to lift anything heavy.Iam on the waiting list to have a shoulder arthroscopic decompression,to try prevent further damage to my tendons,and ease the pain.Mr Tang recomends i should delay replacement until iam 60 years old,he says a second replacement is unlikely to work ,in that debriss from wear of the joint reacts with the immune system,and attacks and damages the bone,the socket becomes loose,and a there is not enough sound bone left for a second fixing.

Having read your experiance,and that your now back on a bike,i would like to know how you get along,and what your surgen said you should expect.How much weight can you lift etc,and what activites you can manage.

I dont know if my surgeon is over precautious,or if its the nhs budjets that try to put you off,but iam now thinking more about replacement, .its no joke finding it difficult to even dress yourself without pain if there is another way.