my gears.

gas_gas_96

hi.

ive wrote on this forum before and everybody is really helpful and kind, anyway my 96 gas gas jtr is 5 up 1 down like most bikes, and if i ride in gear 2 and cut it out, then i go down 2 and its not in nuetral, however it will still go down another gear?

i think it is something in the gearbox that is knackered but i dont know anything if im honest, i just want it to run properly it had a bunch of problems and ive fixed them all this is all thats left now......

thanks

jack

A.The gears won't select if you've turned the engine off, you think you're going down 2 gears but i bet its still in second.

B. Your gearbox is actually 1 down and 5 up (not 5 up & 1 down) so you think you're in 2nd but your actually in 3rd.

Edited by t-shock 250

hi.

ive wrote on this forum before and everybody is really helpful and kind, anyway my 96 gas gas jtr is 5 up 1 down like most bikes, and if i ride in gear 2 and cut it out, then i go down 2 and its not in nuetral, however it will still go down another gear?

i think it is something in the gearbox that is knackered but i dont know anything if im honest, i just want it to run properly it had a bunch of problems and ive fixed them all this is all thats left now......

thanks

jack

Its very hard to select gears with any accuracy without the motor running (best practice is to stop motor in neutral)

Best to run thought all the gears when riding, if you have six gears and it changes ok then all is fine :thumbup:

Edited by Monty_Jon

Hi Jack

Ive the same bike and have had the same problem. the fault is a worn gear selector.

You will need to remove the clutch casing off and you can see a flat plate that hooks onto the gear selector pins.

Gas gas do have thease parts or you can reshape the plate

Hope this helps

wayne

Hi Jack

Ive the same bike and have had the same problem. the fault is a worn gear selector.

You will need to remove the clutch casing off and you can see a flat plate that hooks onto the gear selector pins.

Gas gas do have thease parts or you can reshape the plate

Hope this helps

wayne

hi wayne,

thanks this is very helpful, do you know exactly where i can get the parts too?

thanks

jack