Wrist Ache while riding

Here's a one for you all, Iv just started trails, Iv had bother with my left wrist for a few years,on my mountain bike Iv had to use a riser stem to raise the bars up abit to take the pressure off my wrist ( my left hand can literly fall asleep after awhile) which isnt good lol, could changing the bar postition on my beta help or i can I get a higher lift set of bars? All help much appreciated.

Cheers All

Here's a one for you all, Iv just started trails, Iv had bother with my left wrist for a few years,on my mountain bike Iv had to use a riser stem to raise the bars up abit to take the pressure off my wrist ( my left hand can literly fall asleep after awhile) which isnt good lol, could changing the bar postition on my beta help or i can I get a higher lift set of bars? All help much appreciated.

Cheers All

I prefer riser bar mounts as higher bend bars move forward and back too much when you tweek the angle,lower rise lets you angle the grips as you need for comfort without changing your riding position near as much otherwise. If you use the S3 mounts(don't personally know they're compatible with your Beta) you can then set the for and aft to your liking too.

BTW,Make sure your gloves aren't too tight,if a glove isn't loose on my hand it cuts off circulation when I ride.

Riding tends to flatten the wrists. If you compare trials/mx/downhill riders (and some other bikes sports) with someone who isn't putting so much pressure on them you tend to notice a much flatter, squarer cross section of the wrist.

In normal carpal tunnel the median nerve becomes trapped more due to being inflamed but it can literally be squashed in a bike rider by the wrist loosing its shape. Its worth buying some sports tape (endura is my usual brand) and putting a wrap around the wrist to try and keep the shape.

The operation frequently only gives temporary relief so I'd give it a go trying to support the shape of your wrist before going down any surgical routes.

Cheers All

beginning riders tend to put a lot of wieght on their wrist, keep your knees bent a bit, be aware of how you are distributing your weight on the bike, get used to how it feels to transfer your wieght from the pege to the bars, you want your weight on the pegs, and you should have a very light pressure on the bars, practice riding one handed, this helps you to train your mind to ride with your feet

Hi Guys, Thank you for your responses, the wrist problem stems from 30 years in martial arts ( old school training methods catching me up lol ) I take the comments re beginners putting to much pressure one the bars which I guess is normal,I will try a wrap on wrist to see if that helps, Iv got a couple of trial events at weekend ( first ones )so I will try to put more weight on the pegs and guide the bike.

Thank You all again

Respect

Check the side angle of your wrist at the bars. I discovered that if my bars are too wide (just 3/4 of an inch) that my wrists were put at an odd angle and would hurt. With my bars at the correct width my wrist is kept 90 degrees to the grips.(hand and forearm should be a relative straight line) The wider the bars the farther out your arms go and the more you have to "point" your hands toward the center of the bars to keep your hands holding the grips. But if your bars are too narrow then your wrist will go the opposite direction. Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

Been here a little.

Get some coaching at a local trial (get a top rider to look at your stance) to make sure you are stood correctly.

Check your leavers.

Lighten the leaver pull by using the end of the leaver rather than the bend(??make and sense).....Move them inboard as far as they go and readjust them for your finger reach.

Lube the leavers

Replace the little leaver bushings

Have the leavers just below horizontal.

Rest the problem rather than spending midweek trying to strengthen the wrist.

• 7 months later...

My hands were tingling and going numb each night after I rode in an event in the beginning of last year. I found tilting the bars forward and adjusting the levers down a bit below horizontal for a more comfortable angle helped me a lot.

I noticed some of the same problems as i have only been riding trials for about a year. I guess it's different depending on your body type, being a shorter guy myself I moved my bars slightly more upright as well as moved my levers closer to parallel to the ground. All was at the the advice of a couple of local pro's and expert riders. Gave it a shot and noticed a big difference after just 1 day of riding! Really helped me keep the weight on the pegs and not put so much pressure on the bars. Just my experience, since I'm not in a place to give much advice...