Running repairs

slogger

After much frustration the 240 I recently bought (which had been stood up for at least 5 years)is now running sweet! After isolating the poor running to a loose kill switch wire (phew, was ready to replace the electrics / crank seals)the bike had a full practice ride yesterday and runs sweet.

I now need to allocate the budget to a number of immediate replacement items to get it ready for its first comp, then I can prioritise time/money of a gradual rebuild / restore.

A couple of quick questions in order to address two items without any spend:

1) Are the standard shocks (Marzocchi) rebuildable. At present they have no dampening but there does appear to be a large nut by the damper rod that suggests they can be rebuilt

2) The petrol cap has sheered just inside the cap cavity where the breather pipe attaches. This is resulting in fuel spilling. As a cap is

After much frustration the 240 I recently bought (which had been stood up for at least 5 years)is now running sweet! After isolating the poor running to a loose kill switch wire (phew, was ready to replace the electrics / crank seals)the bike had a full practice ride yesterday and runs sweet.

I now need to allocate the budget to a number of immediate replacement items to get it ready for its first comp, then I can prioritise time/money of a gradual rebuild / restore.

A couple of quick questions in order to address two items without any spend:

1) Are the standard shocks (Marzocchi) rebuildable. At present they have no dampening but there does appear to be a large nut by the damper rod that suggests they can be rebuilt

2) The petrol cap has sheered just inside the cap cavity where the breather pipe attaches. This is resulting in fuel spilling. As a cap is

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob, yes the cap will came apart but not really necessary I repaired 1 by removing all the existing breather hose from around the stem, then drill and tap to 5mm, then I drilled an alloy 5mm bolt down the centre screwed it into the cap and run a 5mm locking nut down. The fit a new breather pipe over the 5mm bolt.

The original Marzocchi shocks will come apart and I was able to source new seals, however my rods were baddly pitted and I have not been unable to remove the rod from the top alloy mount, think its cast on?

Rob's now gone all Montesa on us, so I've now got the Fantic to put back together :D

I taken one of the shocks apart :) I've got a couple of questions

1) any idea where to get a seal kit from for the Marzocchi shocks

2) how much oil do you add to the shock and will standard fork oil be OK