Sprite/Sachs 125

cridge

Firstly - Hello to you all

I am picking up a Sprite trials bike this weekend fitted with a Sachs 125 engine, accompanying it is a spare Sachs engine & chromoly frame.

The bike has been sat festering in my dads shed for the best part of 15 years, prior to this it was owned by my great uncle. I stripped to restore it approx 8 years ago, the restoration was halted by a move & I recently stumbled upon this thread which has rejuvenated my interest.

My dad has now agreed to let me have the bike as he has no time in which to restore it but I have noticed very limited information available on the internet, I have trawled all the information available online but was wondering if there were any further resources available?

Thank you in advance

Adam

Well, here it is:

spriteg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Needs some work! The engine on the right is the spare that came with the bike, it requires a casing as can be seen.

The chromoly frame previously mentioned is a bit of a mystery - anyone recognise it?

chromolyframe.jpg

Well heres another picture of the Sprite frame - any ideas what sort of age it is?

spriteframe.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Adam

The Sprite will be from later 69 to 71ish, I beleive the earlier 125 Sprite's had the Sachs motor the later version had a Zundapp. There was also a big fin version of the Sachs model painted all over gold!

Forks and hubs will be REH (http://www.shaneengines.co.uk/)I think Lambretta brake shoes fit the hubs. When restored it should be a useful bike for twinshock trials.

There was a Sachs engined one at the big Stafford Show in April. Good luck with the rebuild.

Edited by TrialsRfun

Hey guys, thank you for the replies.

The original engine is a Sachs unit but it is somewhat "worn" - any ideas where I may come across any parts?

What would your opinion be on restoring the RTX? is it worth doing?

The original engine is a Sachs unit but it is somewhat "worn" - any ideas where I may come across any parts?

Not sure about a source for Sachs spares, the RTX well only if it cost very little to do, I would not spend too much there.

I wonder where the other RTX sold in Britain ended up.

I jest there, but only a handful could have been sold. I think I only ever saw three and the power band seemed to reside well toward the top end of the rev range. Even if you could find parts you would not have a very great bike. However, the frame looks like it might take another motor with a bit of work,

I wonder where the other RTX sold in Britain ended up.

I jest there, but only a handful could have been sold. I think I only ever saw three and the power band seemed to reside well toward the top end of the rev range. Even if you could find parts you would not have a very great bike. However, the frame looks like it might take another motor with a bit of work,

There was an absolutely drop dead georgeous one on e bay recently that had a Tiger cub engine fitted. The RTX frame i mean.

The RTX frame will take the honda CG motor, its a squeze but it will fit, I've just done the RTX with a 150 honda engine, some spares are available google RTX parts/spares, good luck with both bikes

Sachs engine parts and even complete engines come up on ebay now and then but you will find the gear selector forks are either worn, broken or simply missing!

I sent to the USA for bits from here.. http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/4A%20Sachs%20engine.htm for my Sprite and Saracens as the engines were also used in early KTM's and the American Pentons.

The guy at Penton Parts is knowledgeable and willing to email and discuss details.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I came across your post with some interest as I actually owned a Sprite Sachs back in 1973 when I was 15. I think it was a 'J' reg. When I bought it it was already a bit tired so I stripped it down only to find the headstock twisted. I managed to straighten it between two trees with a length of pipe. My feeling was that the frame looked strong but wasn't. I re-painted the frame and put her back together. I think mine had an orange fibreglass tank. I remember the REH forks and hubs, big but not much good. The forks were very odd in that the seals sat in a groove that meant you had to distort the seal to get it in. The only way I got the forks to work was to put gaiters on them and let them run oily otherwise they suffered chronic stiction. I ran some junior trials on it. I remember the Sachs engine as its strong point, strong, reliable and easy to start, she flew when you gave her some revs. I have a photo of me on her somewhere. Good luck with your project! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Rob