Tyre drought in Brisbane

keychange

I live in a pretty out of the way spot - great for riding but lousy for accessing gear. With the upcoming Queens Birthday long weekend one of my sons was coming down from Brisbane and looking forward to some fun on my TLR. Driving down tomorrow (Friday) morning and Murphy's law kicks in and Thursday morning I discovered that the front tyre on my Cota is flat - it's a very old tyre could even be 1976 original! So trying to get the tyre to lift over the rim - it just falls apart on the lever.

Nearest big town = Coffs Harbour - population 60,000 no tyres. I got the name of a couple possible sources in Brisbane from our local trials mentor-in-chief Greg Harding but alas they had none. I then spent the next hour + calling bike shops in Brisbane looking for a 21 inch trials front - with nothing but blank stares in reply ( over the phone) until one guy said try MX Factory on the Gold Coast. Turns out Jason had been a keen trials rider he rang the importer where he had a mate and the mate could bring the tyre home from work so that my son could pick it up on his way south in the morning :icon_salut:

Then he compounded his beneficence by giving me a discount :banana2: Jason said if I need help with trials gear give him a yell - and I most certainly will - http://www.mxfactory.com.au

I live in a pretty out of the way spot - great for riding but lousy for accessing gear. With the upcoming Queens Birthday long weekend one of my sons was coming down from Brisbane and looking forward to some fun on my TLR. Driving down tomorrow (Friday) morning and Murphy's law kicks in and Thursday morning I discovered that the front tyre on my Cota is flat - it's a very old tyre could even be 1976 original! So trying to get the tyre to lift over the rim - it just falls apart on the lever.

Nearest big town = Coffs Harbour - population 60,000 no tyres. I got the name of a couple possible sources in Brisbane from our local trials mentor-in-chief Greg Harding but alas they had none. I then spent the next hour + calling bike shops in Brisbane looking for a 21 inch trials front - with nothing but blank stares in reply ( over the phone) until one guy said try MX Factory on the Gold Coast. Turns out Jason had been a keen trials rider he rang the importer where he had a mate and the mate could bring the tyre home from work so that my son could pick it up on his way south in the morning :icon_salut:

Then he compounded his beneficence by giving me a discount :banana2: Jason said if I need help with trials gear give him a yell - and I most certainly will - http://www.mxfactory.com.au

Great result! I'm only an hour from the Gold Coast so i'll keep them in mind!

cheers

we have a very similar problem here in N.Z. too. as everything here is geared for MX riders, you can pick MX knobblies up just about anywhere and dirt (sorry) cheep. where as trials gear and tyres are a pain to track down....and cost a fortune.

We have Michelin X-Lite and X11, and tubed type, Dunlop 803, IRC and Vee Rubber trials tyres, and have next day delivery if you need it. And we only sell Trials stuff!

Www.thehellteam.com

Yes Arnoux - but it's not next day Artarmon to Dorrigo where I live and you are not in Brisbane where my son lives so in this case you were not an option. I have purchased from you before and no complaints - although recently like so many Australian dealers you struggle to compete with UK - it's as if you have forgotten to adjust some of your prices to compensate for the strong AUD. Recently I was looking at pants and I realise you need to advance purchase and hold in stock and pay GST but most of the UK guys have stock and rent and still charge us VAT (even though they shouldn't) and yet even with international postage there is often a 30% plus difference on delivered prices. Maybe it's the importers and if so they need to be taken to task.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Arnoux - but it's not next day Artarmon to Dorrigo where I live and you are not in Brisbane where my son lives so in this case you were not an option. I have purchased from you before and no complaints - although recently like so many Australian dealers you struggle to compete with UK - it's as if you have forgotten to adjust some of your prices to compensate for the strong AUD. Recently I was looking at pants and I realise you need to advance purchase and hold in stock and pay GST but most of the UK guys have stock and rent and still charge us VAT (even though they shouldn't) and yet even with international postage there is often a 30% plus difference on delivered prices. Maybe it's the importers and if so they need to be taken to task.

I can live with 25-30% premium to keep the local guy in business, its the 200-300-400% jacking that p****s me off.

Darren at Two Wheel Tyres on the Warrego at Blacksoil9near Ipswich) keeps Michelin Comps in stock and they are usually around the $130 and $165 f & r respectively.