Beta Rev3

stephen1967

My Beta has been noisy for a while,re-packed silencer made no difference.My local bike shop says the noise is coming from the mid-box.Probably due to a build up of carbon.Took it off the.other day,filled it with petrol and let it stand.Cleaned it out today and flushed it out with Gunk, There didn`t seem to be much carbon .coming out. I was wondering if I used Caustic Soda it would get more carbon out or is too strong to use on an exhaust. Forum members have had conflicting comments on using Caustic Soda. Can anyone help with good advice.Thank you.

Hi,

Caution with the caustic soda as it reacts with ally. My Beta is a 2002. I've had the centre box catch alight (smolder) on events that allow you to use higher gears. That cleared it out a little. I thought about buying a middle box but was stopped by the price. I would try heat like oxy/acet to try and burn off stuff.

I'll be watching this watching this for developements. Mine's got such a pop to it it sounds like a .410 shotgun going off.

There doesn`t seem to be much development on this topic. Surely there must be forum members who have come up against this problem.Your advice would be much appreciated.

On the subject of carbon im truck mechanic and when I come across carbon build up around injectors on a van we use White spirits ( the strong stuff for car body paint)

Not to sure if it might react with the metal the exhaust is made of ? ?

hi have had same probs in past and had a go a few different ways.

this is how I go about clearing the carbon.

pour neat petrol into exhaust and leave to soak for 2 or 3 days.

pour petrol from exhaust into container.

making sure all the fluid is removed i take a blow torch and heat up from the end that joins to front pipe untill i can see the carbon glowing red. then i prop exhaust up near vertical and place my fan heater so it blows air into and up exhaust. will fan the carbon and continue to burn for 2 or 3 hours. once cool i steadily bang it on chock of wood with a bit of old carpet on it to save any damage. loads of burnt carbon dust comes out. then i take bike for a good long blift to clear any leftovers.

hope this helps you out mate it works for me! :thumbup:

Edited by shunna

hi have had same probs in past and had a go a few different ways.

this is how I go about clearing the carbon.

pour neat petrol into exhaust and leave to soak for 2 or 3 days.

pour petrol from exhaust into container.

making sure all the fluid is removed i take a blow torch and heat up from the end that joins to front pipe untill i can see the carbon glowing red. then i prop exhaust up near vertical and place my fan heater so it blows air into and up exhaust. will fan the carbon and continue to burn for 2 or 3 hours. once cool i steadily bang it on chock of wood with a bit of old carpet on it to save any damage. loads of burnt carbon dust comes out. then i take bike for a good long blift to clear any leftovers.

hope this helps you out mate it works for me! :thumbup:

I don`t have the use of a .blow torch,but do have a heat gun,would this get the same results or not.