Call To Sy 175 Owners

steve fracy

Now that some of you have had some time on your SY 175's, I'd love to hear some reviews from as many people as possible! I love Scorpa's concept of being so simple, and last summer when I rode a little 125, Iloved it. It was so fun, but more power would have been great! Does the 175 have enough? Love to hear about things that have surprised you, both good and bad! :D

Cheers, Steve

Having just got our SY175 yesterday my son & myself, only got in about 3 hours practice yesterday. 1st impressions the clutch came as a cable with the intention of the hydraulic one coming later as they have problems well the cltutch was all or nothing, seems as though it would it would be OK as the standard 125 clutch, but can't cope with the more power. And the carburation was a bit fluffy as if it was going to die when you let the power off.

1. Do you have to change the jet for a 17.5?

2. Change the clutch plates?

Clutch Plate Machining

Machining stock clutch plates: $45

Performance clutch lever assembly: $28.95

3. Change the baffle in the exhaust?

B&J Silencer Mod

Silencer rebuild with custom perforated core:

B&J perforated core only: $24.95

I see all these mods are on BJ racing has anyone done them yet, apart fom that fuffed to chuck with the bike!

Hi steve i have a 175 they are a great bike, But there are some problems watch this space i.e. :D  :D  :D

Vinnied

Hey vinnie, sorry to hear your having problems with your mount :huh:

hope it's nothing too bad.

Never had any bother with my 125, I would have thought that if Scorpa has bored the lump out to 150 (or 175) they would have ironed out any carb problems (or anything else for that matter).

The 175 model isn't a cheap option if I can recall.

Steve, you might want to ask on the STRA site too. Bob Ginder looks in every once in a while over there. A guy in our club has the one Bob built and it's for sale (I think). His name is John Furr.

If your feeling lazy click on the Hondatrials site, there's a link to the STRA there.

Edited by Brian R

Dennis rode one with the 143 kit and trick exhaust last season for about half of the events. It was loads of fun, but he was giving up some points because it was not enough power for champ lines at times. We had an event with a big long steep muddy climb and the 2 strokes would fly right up it in fourth with a downshift to third at wide open throttle. The poor little four strokes were stuck clawing away at it in 2nd gear. That is a problem if you are going try these types of climbs, but for the most part the bikes are great! Perhaps if it is a full 175 it would do fine. Steve are you thinking of buying one for yourself? I heard you were riding a Beta now?

Jay:

I am still riding my trusty 02 GG Pro! In my humble opinion, it is the most powerful, light and fun to ride trials bike made to date! The 02 motor is ferocious, and exempliphies the word "Pro" on the decal! I have ridden every year model since the 02 and the motor has been softened somewhat every year to make it more rideable to more people!

My bike would make a good test model for a long term test! It's immaculate, and has been maintenance free! I ride every weekend! My backyard is pretty much expert only material, so it's not just a trail ride! Contrary to the reputation that some have spread about the GG, it is an excellent bike! I have yet to ride any of the new bikes that work as good for me! Again, it is not for everyone, but, I have been tuning bikes for 20+ yrs to try and run like this one does, right out of the box!

Beta huh! Hmm, we'll have to see what happens this year! It was supposed to be top secret! You might have to reveal your sources Jay! Hope to see you up here next year for our vintage series on that Garelli!

Cheers, Steve

Steve: My next door neighbor has an '02 Pro 280 (blue) which he just loves and has had no problems whatsoever with it. He loves it so much he bought a second one, (red) which has required disassebly due to broken shifter internals, the clutch has a delay in engagement which is quite scary at times, the forks seals leak like hell, and the the thing is burning gear oil due to a bad crank seal. The lesson is that you should never buy a red GG pro! :D The Garelli is coming along nicely. I also have gotten my papers in order so if my health holds out I can and will be coming up to Canada for a much anticipated visit. Perhaps my wife and I will be able to stay at your place for a night or two? Jay L.

I put the BJ racing clutch mod on my 125, the restrictors were out of the exhaust when I got the bike but ended up putting a aftermarket rear silencer/ spark arrester on.

The clutch mod works great and is still cable actuated, knurled plates, perch and lever assembly and better quality cable, all for less than a hundred quid.

I kept the bike as a 125 because it did run spot on, and the ones I tried with the bore kit didn't run as well, could be just down to tuning, but I think it's a great little clubman's bike and works good in beck holes and traditional type sections, once on bigger stuff it was lacking in power to get up them with no run, this was the same on the 125 sherco also.

Only other gripe would be the skid plate, sloped forward from the rear mounting bolts, I often got hung up on logs I didn't on my Sherco.

Bottom line, great little bike, lacking power on bigger stuff.

Jay:

How fast is the Garelli coming along? I am hosting the first round of a vintage series April 23/24 here in Shawnigan Lake! You and your wife would certainly be welcome then and any time you would like to come! I can promise a great time at the trial, riding my backyard, and sitting around the campfire in the backyard! You will be required to bring your guitar though! Let me know OK!

Cheers, Steve