2003 Sherco 2.5

dekon

In my never ending quest to find a trials bike, I am going to look at a 2003 Sherco 2.5 tonight. Is there anything I should look for in particular? Owner said it has a fresh rebuild on the motor. He has sent me a few pictures of it; it has the usual trials scrapes and dings and the tires are in like new condition also(they still have the little molding nubs on them). Any idea of a rough price range?

Thanks

Edited by Dekon

In my never ending quest to find a trials bike, I am going to look at a 2003 Sherco 2.5 tonight. Is there anything I should look for in particular? Owner said it has a fresh rebuild on the motor. He has sent me a few pictures of it; it has the usual trials scrapes and dings and the tires are in like new condition also(they still have the little molding nubs on them). Any idea of a rough price range?

Thanks

I am thinking $2000 range if in decent shape. Might ask if he did a piston and rings or just main bearings and seals on O/H.

Rear suspension linkage well lubed and not too much play, smooth steering head bearings, decent chain and sprockets. Muffler and header pipe not totally crushed, good wheels and tires , and you are in!

Bikes in that year range vary a lot and maintenance is important. The little odds and ends can be dealt with as long as the big parts are ok. But at that price range, you take your chances. A some point you gotta take a bit of risk. New ones a bit over 7K! Pick your poison! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I need some opinions on this bike. The seller purchased this bike through a dealer and the motor was completely gone through top and bottom, and all other bearings and the like checked. The seller has owned it for a little over a month and has not ridden the bike since he purchased it. He showed me the bill of sale from the dealer. Looks better in person than the picture he sent me(it looked rough in the pictures). The only thing that concerns me is that some of the spoke nipples have rust on them, is this going to cause problems and is it worth the $2600 he is asking for it? Oh, the price he paid was covered over on the bill of sale so I do not know what he paid. Sorry to sound like a pain but this is going to be my first trials bike and I know there is risk buying anything used.

Edited by Dekon

My personal opinion is to shy away from anything (car, bike, camper, etc...) that somebody is selling after buying it used and only having it a couple months. The paranoid part of me tends to think something is really wrong with it if they want to get rid of it that soon after purchase. Or it is a "flip" and trying to make a quick profit.

But I am a pessimistic sort anyways. Seems a bit odd that the seller has not ridden it since purchase.............

OK, I need some opinions on this bike. The seller purchased this bike through a dealer and the motor was completely gone through top and bottom, and all other bearings and the like checked. The seller has owned it for a little over a month and has not ridden the bike since he purchased it. He showed me the bill of sale from the dealer. Looks better in person than the picture he sent me(it looked rough in the pictures). The only thing that concerns me is that some of the spoke nipples have rust on them, is this going to cause problems and is it worth the $2600 he is asking for it? Oh, the price he paid was covered over on the bill of sale so I do not know what he paid. Sorry to sound like a pain but this is going to be my first trials bike and I know there is risk buying anything used.

Doubt you will get away from rusty spoke nipples on much anything at that age. If you know what dealer sold it, you might inquire about its history, as there are not a lot of 250's around. Most are 2.9's. I think it would need to be truly V good to EX to bring the asking price.

My personal opinion is to shy away from anything (car, bike, camper, etc...) that somebody is selling after buying it used and only having it a couple months. The paranoid part of me tends to think something is really wrong with it if they want to get rid of it that soon after purchase. Or it is a "flip" and trying to make a quick profit.

But I am a pessimistic sort anyways.

I'm selling my four stroke Scorpa that I've only had for a few weeks, used it at leats twice possibly three times a week since buying but it's not for me a four stroke, so that's why I'm selling mine.

Lies .

Nice one Tone, good to see you've followed me on here to stalk me :thumbup:

Had it up Glenshee the day Tone, I'm bored with it now, there is no place else I wanna go with it :rolleyes:

Edited by Thedbf

Thought Clarky might have bought it of you cracking wee bike

I bought an 2010 gasser kept it a couple of months , way to light and powerfull for my skill level so punted it at a great loss. There are people who are genuine sellers.

Thought Clarky might have bought it of you cracking wee bike

I bought an 2010 gasser kept it a couple of months , way to light and powerful for my skill level so punted it at a great loss. There are people who are genuine sellers.

I agree that there are some genuine sellers that only had a bike for a short time, but remember I said I am a pessimistic sort and have to wonder if the seller is genuine or if there is big problem with the bike. One just needs to be careful is basically what I was saying.