BTC Round

jordi

Six riders only started todays BTC round, is this the lowest ever for the main BTC round? This surely cannot continue if this is the trend, not sure what the answer will be but something will have to change.

Edited by jordi

Six riders only started todays BTC round, is this the lowest ever for the main BTC round? This surely cannot continue if this is the trend, not sure what the answer will be but something will have to change.

Major shock. Seems top-flight trials riders competing in their countries championships is on the decline - both sides of the pond.

What do you change? Make the Rounds easier?? It gets riders but the quality suffers. I think this one was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. A shame for the club as like many others the time and effort required is immense. We were due down there but had to withdraw due to a problem with my Son's eyes. The numbers weren't far off and there are a number of "new" contenders coming to bolster the Classes in the next few years.

Still a "Daily Mail" attitude gathers more headlines than the fact that Torridge obviously did a good job and brought about a different winner in Michael Brown.

Does it matter that there were only 6 on the championship route? There are usually only around 8 or 9 at most events. Today there were 2 non-starters so it should have been 8, which is about normal.

The trial overall still had 50+ so not a bad entry in total.

If riders want a seriously hard championship route as training for the WTC and organisers are happy with catering for only 10 or thereabouts riders on that route, is there a problem? You'd assume the organisers are happy to do so as it has been like this for a few years now.

As a seperate issue, my own opinion on trials at championship level is that the sport is screwed. The bikes are too good, way more than your average club rider needs and only a handful of riders really have the skill to ride these bikes to the maximum, creating the huge gap between them and the rest. The sections they ride are impossible for 98% of riders, so they are in a sport of their own. Put them on an old style national course with trick riding allowed and most of them will go clean. Make the sections harder and most other riders will drop out. As with most motor sport, progress and machine development isn't always for the better and can have an adverse affect.

A not too bad solution, although this is firmly tongue in cheek, would be to bin every monoshock ever made and go back to twin shocks and air-cooled motors which just wouldn't be capable of modern 'big' sections, which could then revert to the right side of sensible for more riders. Now, I have some more Castrol R to sniff before bedtime.

Knock the trick riding on the head and go back to tsr 22b rules for all trials for a start,sections don't need to be as hard and steps don't need to be as big if you cant stop.

And the top riders clean it all unless you put in a large number of sections or make them super tricky so that the course remains too hard for "normal" Riders. . Even if you go TSR22b you then get the top riders still able to "trick" ride obstacles and you also get the arguments about whether you stopped or not.

Let's get one thing straight. The BTC is not designed for "normal" riders, it's the top level of the sport in this country. You are not going to get more than a dozen riders capable of riding it. The "Support" classes keep numbers up to ensure a decent entry for the organizing club and also allow the top locals to try their hand. It's the same in other sports as well.

As a rider, enthusiast, official and BTC C of C I really don't know the answer.

Scores from Sunday look spot on so congrats to Torridge who I know are a super keen bunch and have full respect for.

However I think there are too many objectives to be achieved in BTC these days.

Top boys want to be pushed and have a chance to pull a mistake back - even in Expert A and B

Clubs want it to be feasible -good entries

Onlookers want it to be what they want!!

I think the format the last few years has been ok but not sure if this is sustainable in the future.

The current ability of top riders and bikes means that given enough time the good riders will get through any section that does not physically knock them off.

If you mark out a tricky traditional style section that could take the odd mark if ridden in a flowing manner will be broken down into 20 hop and stop bits and then be told the section is too long for 90 second time limit.

I think with stop allowed its down to big stuff (and yes they do go backwards), or no stop with all its possible observing issues but with less extreme sections. - I guess take your pick!!