Clutch Drag

neilc

I don't know if i am having the same problem as the post 'clutch cleaning' but since changing my oil on my TXT Pro 280 the clutch is dragging. It has always slightly dragged but now with the clutch pulled fully in with the bike in gear, you need to hold on quite a bit to stop the bike riding off. I tried adjusting the lever slightly with no luck. So i removed the fluid resevoir cover (which didn't seem to be sealing very well) but could'nt see any fluid. How much should be in there and what type? The manual i have simply says to check the level!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

neil

sounds like you've lost fluid somewhere, as the reservoir should be around half full.

I'm sure some reservoirs have a sight glass on the side.

If the level has dropped as far as you say you'll have to bleed the system because it will have drawn air in.

Hope this helps. Stewart. :D

Edited by stewart3871

I am not saying that you are stupid or anything, but if there is no oil atall then it is possible that you haven't removed the rubber seal itself which sits under the screw down lid on the resevoir. Different types of oil do make a difference to clutch performance.

Bob

When you changed the oil did you use a different type than was already in there? I have found that using Silkolene light gear oil (75/80w) causes the clutch to drag like a b@stard, but Putoline light gear oil (75w) works fine. Lots of people swear by ATF but GG UK told me not to use it with 2004/05 clutch plates only with 2002/03 ones.

If the clutch fluid is low top it up & bleed any air out, if it still drags take the clutch out & measure it per the GG website(s), you may need to replace the friction plates, cost about