Gaerne Oiled Boots

chuckmorris

I've been using these boots for about 6 months now and I "oil" them after every trial (when the boot is clean and dry; be careful how you dry them, and in the winter don't let them freeze either....) with the Gaerne Boot Cream (comes in a tube). I also oiled them thoroughly before using them for the first time and use a soft tooth brush to work the cream into the stitching. If you can't find anything specifically about caring for Gaerne Balance boots google for leather+hiking+boot+care.

My observations so far are:

• that the waterproof material used to seal the the instep/shin opening appears to be delicate and I take special care when closing the boot to make sure to tuck/fold the seal in so that the material is not exposed where it could get punctured/cut; I make adjustments to the fasteners in stages until I manage complete closure with the seal completely hidden under the flap and thus protected.
  • that I might be overdoing the oiling as the leather can get quite soft and is easily cut; I've noticed a few deep cuts but that might be a factor of riding (falling off) in the south; i.e. lots of flint

Hi guys, I have some oiled gaerne boots that are about six years old now. Every other trial I use some leather feed that is initially used for leather horse gear, saddles etc . . . . Let that sink in then nik-wak on top. Six years on and still going strong!