Beta rev 4 t sputters at higher rpm's

glennp

Beta rev 4t suddenly lost power and sputtered at higher rpm's. It starts, idles and revs a little with no problem. I took out the carb and cleaned the jets with little change. I noticed a large fitting on the carb with no hose or cap attached (pictured below).

https://dl.dropbox.com/0/view/wwme3qxvpt8e3px/Photo%20Aug%2020%2C%205%2025%2034%20PM.jpeg

Beta rev 4t suddenly lost power and sputtered at higher rpm's. It starts, idles and revs a little with no problem. I took out the carb and cleaned the jets with little change. I noticed a large fitting on the carb with no hose or cap attached (pictured below).

https://dl.dropbox.com/0/view/wwme3qxvpt8e3px/Photo%20Aug%2020%2C%205%2025%2034%20PM.jpeg

Sounds like fuel starvation of some kind - my hit list of checks would be.

* check fuel filters

* re-check the carb - micro dirt you cant see can play havock !

* fresh fuel - is there enough fuel in the tank?

* fuel tap position to reserve ?

* change the plug as a precaution.

Could not see the image you posted to compare with mine as it would not down load for some reason - can you re-post it in another format ?

Hope this helps !

Cheers

GAW

Hi there

I'm writing this without looking at my bike but I think the pipe that is on the right hand side of the carb runs up the side of the fuel tank to where the fuel cap area is and acts as a breather. The one on the left hand side goes to a t type connector which joins another breather pipe and goes down to the swing arms area. Hope this helps.

Mine had a rubber cap that went over that tube. It split, and was about to come off, when I saw it. Searched the nut and bolt aisle, at the hardware store, and found a stretchy plastic (not rubber)replacement, that worked fine.

If you pull the big black plastic cap off, you can see where the tube would vent into the diaphragm area, when open. As I recall, it was blocked off, and the cap just protected it. Best I could figure, this tube would be used for a multi-carb setup, to interconnect them.

Mine had a rubber cap that went over that tube. It split, and was about to come off, when I saw it. Searched the nut and bolt aisle, at the hardware store, and found a stretchy plastic (not rubber)replacement, that worked fine.

If you pull the big black plastic cap off, you can see where the tube would vent into the diaphragm area, when open. As I recall, it was blocked off, and the cap just protected it. Best I could figure, this tube would be used for a multi-carb setup, to interconnect them.

That sounds right.