what to look for when buying a used 125 ?

ar22

I am looking to buy my son a used 125

I have a 315 montesa but only play on it and dont attend trials

So I have no idea which 125 is good or any issues the various models have.

Thinking of a bike of around 08 vintage

my two choices seem to be Gas Gas or Sherco

any insights ??

thanks

Hopefully you do consider a Beta 125 as well.

I have a 2009 Beta Evo 125 and very happy with it (got back into trials after 19 years away). There were some problems apparently with the 2009 frames and swingarms (do a search on the Beta forum on this site for frames). I bought mine 2nd hand and it had had the updated frame/swingarm (2010 model?) on it. Have put in a set of Boyesen Reeds and decreased the size of the main jet from 125 to 118 and found that has improved the bottom end incredibly. Much more low down torque.

I have heard some riders who have the 2008 model that they much prefer the simpler shock linkage for cleaning and maintenance.

Great bike, great geometry, turns very easily and I have seen much more skilled riders than me, riding alongside and beating riders with 250, 290's and 300s in non-junior trials. And then seen juniors clean things on their 125s that I only take pictures of!!

Good luck and watch out - you may want to ride the 125 rather than the 315!! :thumbup: (whoops thats the bully).

There are a number of differences. The 2008 GasGas had a new frame which improved the bike's stability and lowered the weight. The Engine is pretty linear in power delivery but has a lot of top end and you need to rev it to access the power. Keep on top of maintenance and you'll have few problems. The Kick start gears, specifically the "bart" simpson cog can go if you are rough with starting and if you have a problem with gears you need to get it looked at ASAP. That box is a work of art but if something does go wrong you need to get it fixed. It's the "trick" bike of the three easy to get the front and rear bouncing around and move in a section.

2008 was the last year of the REV-3. I think the bike gained the Kehin carb and it had the "slimmer" petrol tank. Only problems centred on the rear brake linkage which is a bit fragile. The engine is pretty strong low down but can be a bit "fuffy" as the revs climb. Basically it doesn't seem to "clear" it's throat as well as the other bikes. Doesn't Bounce like the other two either but a "steady" bike and could be made to dance in the right hands.

The Sherco was the "old" frame style as well. not as many around in the UK but pretty bulletproof. The problems with the Mains bearing's seemed to have been solved or were not as prevalent. A good 2T oil helps. The Airbox sits under the rear mudguard so if you break it in the wrong place you can have problems. Not as good as the GasGas at "Trick" riding but better than the Beta.

As for the 2009 bikes the GasGas is pretty similar but he Beta went to the "EVO" frame. PeterH summed thta bike up pretty well and the engine didn't "fluff" as much. Improved Trick riding as well as the new frame is lighter. The later the EVO the better the carbaration. The 2011 GasGas frame is more stable and the Airbox is cleaner and has improved the running of the engine as well. The New Rear Brake master cylinder is also an improvement. My Son went though the "old" kits every 4 months or so. the new one has lasted 8 and although it has failed is still getting the back end to stop.

The Sherco didn't change until 2010. This is a very different bike and size wise suits the younger riders. The only problem's I have heard of are to do with fuel delivery which affects a few bikes. Get a good one though and it should be OK. The 2012 shows where the problem was in that the Carb angle is now similar to the Beta and GasGas. the 2010 and 2011 carb's have a rather "flat" installation which seems to effect the float.

Lastly buy on condition. If you know the owner and how it is maintained even better!! If the bike you are thinking of finishes trials that tends to indicate a good level of general reliability.

Edited by Telecat

cheers for taking the time to explain all that

think I will keep an eye out for a Sherco or Gas Gas and will certainly be buying on condition as you recomended

understand the Beta is a quality bike but think left hand kickstarts is unnatural and reminds me of a 1978 Bultaco

There are a number of differences. The 2008 GasGas had a new frame which improved the bike's stability and lowered the weight. The Engine is pretty linear in power delivery but has a lot of top end and you need to rev it to access the power. Keep on top of maintenance and you'll have few problems. The Kick start gears, specifically the "bart" simpson cog can go if you are rough with starting and if you have a problem with gears you need to get it looked at ASAP. That box is a work of art but if something does go wrong you need to get it fixed. It's the "trick" bike of the three easy to get the front and rear bouncing around and move in a section.

2008 was the last year of the REV-3. I think the bike gained the Kehin carb and it had the "slimmer" petrol tank. Only problems centred on the rear brake linkage which is a bit fragile. The engine is pretty strong low down but can be a bit "fuffy" as the revs climb. Basically it doesn't seem to "clear" it's throat as well as the other bikes. Doesn't Bounce like the other two either but a "steady" bike and could be made to dance in the right hands.

The Sherco was the "old" frame style as well. not as many around in the UK but pretty bulletproof. The problems with the Mains bearing's seemed to have been solved or were not as prevalent. A good 2T oil helps. The Airbox sits under the rear mudguard so if you break it in the wrong place you can have problems. Not as good as the GasGas at "Trick" riding but better than the Beta.

As for the 2009 bikes the GasGas is pretty similar but he Beta went to the "EVO" frame. PeterH summed thta bike up pretty well and the engine didn't "fluff" as much. Improved Trick riding as well as the new frame is lighter. The later the EVO the better the carbaration. The 2011 GasGas frame is more stable and the Airbox is cleaner and has improved the running of the engine as well. The New Rear Brake master cylinder is also an improvement. My Son went though the "old" kits every 4 months or so. the new one has lasted 8 and although it has failed is still getting the back end to stop.

The Sherco didn't change until 2010. This is a very different bike and size wise suits the younger riders. The only problem's I have heard of are to do with fuel delivery which affects a few bikes. Get a good one though and it should be OK. The 2012 shows where the problem was in that the Carb angle is now similar to the Beta and GasGas. the 2010 and 2011 carb's have a rather "flat" installation which seems to effect the float.

Lastly buy on condition. If you know the owner and how it is maintained even better!! If the bike you are thinking of finishes trials that tends to indicate a good level of general reliability.

Looks like the 2011 GasGas Brake seals are even better than I thought. The Problem appears to be a "bent" Brake lever. I'd also say that the Rear Mudguards are made of the same stuff Aircraft "Black Boxes" are made of.