dating letter

scottishsteve

you DO NOT need a dating letter from fantic. as above its fairly clear that the dvla publish a list of persons suitable to issue a dating letter. i ve never had a problem and i ve used bike clubs, collectors groups auctioneers and authors to write mine. I ve even seen letters faked though could nt condone such practices.

I've spoken to the DVLA and they said that I either need a dating letter from Fantic motor or evidence that I have

done everything possible to obtain a dating letter from them ( emails, letters, etc), before they will accept a dating

letter from one of the clubs or groups that the DVLA recognise. This is the stage I'm currently at with my bike and

I've spoken to the local DVLA in depth about this.

As far as the DVLA are concerned if the company still exists ( as Fantic still do ) then they insist on a dating letter

from the original manufacturer even if they don't import into this country anymore. I've been informed by the DVLA

that they've tightened things up recently because vehicles were being registered with inaccurate information,

hence the b*ll ache that I'm now experiencing :wall: ,

Edited by spawtydawg

copy and paste this to the dvla.

fantic ceased production in the early 90's and ceased to exist in 1995. subsequently a new business has started using the name fantic the two are not in any way related.

a very similar scenairo to Greeves. as i understand it the business was clled something else but the brand was greeves.. they ceased production way back when and some one has since used the name. the two businesses are not linked.

AVO is another Ford AVO used to produce performance parts for Fords. AVO today produce performance suspension the two are not linked in any way.

tell dvla to go elsewhere and reproduce. petty 'rules' 'processes' 'procedures' made up on the spur count for nothing, always ask for written clarity quoting an acessable reference source before accepting b~~~sh~t like this..

My mate has registered two 320 Hiro Aprilias using a dating letter from Vintage Motorcycle club - Aprilia obviously still exist but no insistence on a dating certificate from them. That is just total crap - unless it's because your bike is already Q plated. The DVLA once told me that a bike cannot be re-registered from a Q plate.

The problem with the DVLA is that none of them have a clear understanding of their own procedures and you could ask two people sitting at the same desk a question and get 4 different answers. Never mind from office to office... This is the problem faced with any government office (or any office of any kind - I've worked in a good few...)

As for a customs certificate, that's crap as well. I did a Yamaha no problem with just the dating certificate (which also had the 'doesn't comply with traffic regulations' bumph on it) See paragraph above for DVLA knowledge of their own procedures. Print their own web page and take it with you...

• Like 1

The problem with the DVLA is that none of them have a clear understanding of their own procedures and you could ask two people sitting at the same desk a question and get 4 different answers. Never mind from office to office... This is the problem faced with any government office (or any office of any kind -

Part of the reason the country is in the state it's in, many of the staff are along for the ride and know jack about anything.

They may check the postcode and if you're outside their catchment area they may send you packing.

Again - depends if they know their procedures

Three of the bigger ones, Birmingham, Shrewsbury and one other (can't remember) are marked for closure so who knows how that will affect the staff's attitude. Not good for us though as those two are our local offices. Where we're supposed to go when they are gone who knows...

I've always found the Worcester Office very helpfull. I've registered trials bikes and a Yamaha enduro bike in the past. I've only been asked to return with one for an inspection and they didn't even want it off the trailer.

My only disapointment has been the age of the plate that was issued.

The bike was unused 2006 model, (the cert of newness had been lost but the bike had never turned a wheel.) The letter from Yamaha stated that it had been built two years previously, so DVLA issued a plate from January of that year. Instead of getting a 56 reg as I was hoping, it ended up being a 53.

I was lucky enough for the process to be completed without any problems.

Thanks for that information Totalshell I shall certainly let the DVLA know of the situation with Fantic :thumbup: .

As for Re-registering a bike once its been Q plated I've been informed that it shouldn't be a problem so

long as when the bike was first registered it wasn't stated that it was made up with different parts. I also

re-registered a Q plated XR250 a few years ago with no problems what so ever.

Like Woody said it seems to be a bit of a lottery as to where you are and who you speak to, although in

fairness DVLA at Worcester are being very helpful, fingers crossed for a successful outcome.