Grease Nipples

dr nick

I need to fit some new bearings to my bike in the very near future and to save doing this pain in the ass job on a regular basis would like to fit some grease nipples ..has anyone fitted grease nipples to various parts of their bike to make greasing easier.

I`ve got a 98 Techno...so I contacted Lampkins about doing it.

They said that doing this "might" put to much stress on the area around the hole and start to crack and they know of nobody else who has tried it

has anyone else done this mod and found any problems like cracking or anything similar

dont want to cause a bigger problem than I`m curing

Regards

N

I've been considering it for my Sherco. The thing that kept me from diving right in is the fact that the stock bearings have a shell around them and no grease would get to the needles.

I've considered hollowing the bolt to get grease in, but strength issues made me nervous.

My next step is to find a needle bearing with no outer shell...like a wristpin bearing...so the grease can get in from the outside.

Drilling the parts will, of course, weaken them.

If you keep the part very cool while drilling, you'll reduce the chance of altering its hardness.

I had a bike (1997 montesa Cota 315R) with (low profile) (Not Zerk) grease fittings fitted to all the dog bone bearing assemblies and the swingarm. Every place you would logically place one. All of the fitting held well with no damage at all after 5 years of moderate use... The process is a pain in the butt to complete but worth the effort....So it is very possible and does serve as a time saver and bearing saver.......... A special grease gun is reqired , but not very expensive as far as tools go......My 2 cents ........D

I think that what D is referring too is a button head or a needle type grease fitting.

http://www.lincolnindustrial.com/html/lube_fittings.asp

Here are some pictures.

It has been a while since I looked at a TY but I thought it was lubed through the center of the bolt as opposed to going through the sleeve of the bearing.

If I was going to add this, feature, I would go through the bolts. I would think a fairly small hole would suffice quite nicely. It certainly does not take much grease in there.

My 2 cents. Probably another topic that I have killed.

Well, first you introduce me to the lady in your Avatar!

Well, maybe not.

A lot depends on what you have available to do it with. (lathe, Parts etc) P4T3 if you have been around where I have for a bit.

Just my guess from your past posts but I doubt you have a full machine shop etc in the garage. (neither do I) What I do have is fairly easy machine access through a couple of different ways.

Enough babbling, If I was going to do it at your house, we would start with a trip to the automotive parts house that was known to have "everything" Often Napa over here, I have heard Wurth mentioned over there, but not sure if they are a tool maker or a supply house.

Go in and find that old crusty guy that sold Jesus new laces for his sandles, ask him for a needle type grease fitting and the needle to service them with. Get the absolute smallest you can find. I would go with threaded but they often have push in as well. I would not go with the thread cutting if given a choice. If you have Rev'er and Wonder Boy behind the counter (sorry guys, had to pick on you some!) Then wander around in till you find the grease guns and look for the attatchment that looks like a hypodermic needle size jumbo, then take that too the counter and ask for the grease fitting that fits.

Ok, now that you have the fittings and the needle, pickup if you do not have a cobalt (spend the money) 3mm (1/8") bit. An approrpriate bit for the tap, and the tap to thread for the fittings.

Now go home and spend some time staring at the underside of your bike. Figure out which side of the bolt you can get that needle too. Mark the bolts to show where you want the fittings.

I would stongly reccomend that you do this part in a lathe! It can be done by hand, but then again, I have seen a vice that an ANZAC aircraft mechanic made entirely with a hacksaw and hand file, not saying it cannot be done, just that the odds are not good.

Pull the bolt, drill through from the end that you want the fitting in till you are roughly as deep into the shank of the bolt of the center of the bolt, or at least past the o-ring seal on the bearing with the bolt in the installed position. Mark your depth and make a mark on the shank of the bolt and drill through one side to hit your center hole. Debur thouroughly.

Now bore the hole to a depth of just a red hair deeper than the grease fitting threads and tap it to accept the grease fitting, Tap the hole and then insert your grease fitting.

Reassemble your bike after you have done this a number of times.

Some bolts you may choose to do from both sides, like the swingarm (Hmmm)

You may need to nick the o-rings on a sealed bearing to allow the grease to escape, I bet there is enough room without doing it, but you usually cannot apply the same amount of pressure with the needle as you do with the lock on type fitting.

Before you start, make sure you can do All the bearings, otherwise, you never will do that odd one till it comes apart.

The center on a Sherco would be tough I think. I would have to check if you strapped down the back to make the delta link flex low if you could get at all three points.

Just for reference, I would not do this. Taking the stuff apart and holding it in your hands and inspecting it twice a year, or probably once a year, just does not take that long, and gives you a chance to really give it a good going over. But that is my opinion.

I hope that makes sense too you.

Somewhere, I thought there were pictures of a Mont that someone had done fittings on?????? Was that you D?

she`s a long way away Al....could maybe send you a picture :D

just to keep gasping for more ;) ....... :D

and theres me thinking you were doing it out of the goodness of your hearts :o

Regards

N

Edited by Welsh rider