GG Power Packs

cubby

Just been looking at the GG powerpacks on the website and have a question.

I know this is basic for some people, but if you take a tooth off the front sprocket how does it change the gearing. Does it make first more or less usable?

On my 280 using 1st gear on a lot of stuff is good, so just interested to hear what the likely effect would be.

:)

I know this is basic for some people, but if you take a tooth off the front sprocket how does it change the gearing. Does it make first more or less usable?

On my 280 using 1st gear on a lot of stuff is good, so just interested to hear what the likely effect would be.

It'll make SECOND more usable. Tooth down on primary = slower, tooth down on back = faster and vice versa.

Edited by TooFastTim

The way I see it is;

Gearing the bike down lowers my 'in section' speed,reduces my need to slip the clutch and gives me a bit more time to think without the motor running away with me...if you catch my drift?

Forgot to add that the downside is that the rear wheel spins up much easier...not usually a good thing.

Edited by HAM2

Think of it like thism if you went from say an 11t to a 10t, you have reduced the driving gear by near 10%= big change!

Will it make first more usable? Depends upon what you want to use it for. May no longer get you the speed to get over that two foot rock. Pro putting more slowly, yes.

As an average it will be near a 3-4 tooth change on the rear. Do the final drive ratio math.

42/10= 4.2:1, 42/11= 3.82:1, 44/11= 4.0:1 or in the middle w/2t on the rear, so it would require 4 on the rear to = the 1 on the front! :rolleyes:

Lower gearing - depends on terrain & rider preference.

I use the 10T on my 300 usually, but was minded to try a 9T for the recent East Yorks 2 Day.

Really helped in the rocky streams, slowing the action & giving me more time.

No real hindrance elsewhere, except on the road....after all there's 3 more gears to go.

Will stick with the 9T for now & see if it spoils the bike for the southern mud trials I normally ride.

G14GAV: Thats exactly what I normally do. I don't really have time to make adjustments and test it etc. To be honest I love the way it goes at the moment and don't think I need to alter it. It is more than capabale of doing stuff I can't!

Just wonder if most of those power packs are aimed at slowing the bike down and taming the power, shouldn't people ride something with less power to start with??

Not sure it happens so much now, but the Gasser 200's were fairly popular a few years ago, and I remember someone commenting that for most 'Clubman' trials you don't need any more.

I have had a couple of 250's and didn't get on with the '09 one that much, so went for a 280 this time and found it the ideal compromise in terms of power, can't understand why I didn't get one before. Probably because they had the reputation as being the 'experts' bike, however that is now definately the 300 in my opinion.

Cheers for the advise guys.