Runaway Rev 3

crashmonkey

Well this one was an eye opener, I hope some of the readers have got a little technical advise too!

Whilst out riding I noticed that my fan wasn't working, I had a good day so went home.

Jet washed bike on drive 1 1/2 hours later as per normal (bike now stone cold), then started it up, and it just reved it proverbials off :ph34r::ph34r:

I stopped it by sticking the bung up the pipe to reduce the rpm so the kill switch would work.

I did this again after checking all the cables etc and it did the same.

Went back to it a little later and it wouldn't start at all, no spark so I took the flywheel casing off, the flywheel then fell off in my hand :blink:

It has sheared the key off (another on order).

Am I right in thinking that the 'fan' issue is probably seperate to the ignition issue, and what causes it to run away when its cold? - surely not the fly wheel being loose? I am along the lines of thinking the runaway caused the flywheel to come off as opposed to the flywheel causing the runaway - but not sure??

I am just trying to get my head round diagnosing the problem

First off I will get the fly wheel back on and try it :wacko:

I could realy use some advise on this, so thanks :icon_salut:

sounds like you have several problems 1 the fan is a common problem often can be the thermostatic switch faulty which can be checked by bridging the wires to each other or it could be a bad connection to the thermo switch ,2 poss cause for running away is the slide stuck open in the carb ,3 the flywheel has poss already been loose or had some trouble in the past - before fitting new keyway apply some valve grinding paste and work the flywheel back and forth roughly in the position of keyway been lined up this will clean the contacting areas for good fit you could lock tighten the nut on but avoid over tightening as could damage threads ,,, flywheel been loose or coming adrift would stall the bike as ignition timing would be lost

Yep on throttle shut off can you hear/feel the slide hitting the bottom stop, if not thats your problem. Also try this test on each full lock. If you get in a revin situation again one way to stop it is lay the bike down and then turn off fuel tap. Should stop anyway but the tap will help. I've seen folk in trials hanging onto an upright bike clutch in brakes on etc and its not pretty.Flywheel sounds different problem. And if your really anal test bike with fuel in carb but tap in off position.

so your bike is a "runaway"......have you tried puting a picture of it on a lost poster and stick them to a few lamposts? :lol:

sounds like your having fun with the bike. if the key sheared and the timing advanced it would cause the bike to runaway like that, its surprising how little fuel will make a bike rev in the right conditions.

so your bike is a "runaway"......have you tried puting a picture of it on a lost poster and stick them to a few lamposts? :lol:

:lol::lol:

Thanks for the replys everyone, I have stripped and cleaned the carb out, bit of poo-tang in their but I susect its not the fault, will try and get it fired up again in the next day or two, must remember to put my heavy duty undies on first though :D

Incidently can anyone advise me on where the stator plate should be to set the timing to standard? just want to check its right whilst the flywheel is off.

Thanks

Runs sweet as a nut

Not sure if it was the carb or the flywheel tbh, thanks to all for their help, think the fan issue must be the stat as it runs fine when its shorted accross the terminals so got a replacement on order.

I tell ya now my ass was twitching when I was about start it in case it went off on one again :gay:

Time for a few :beer: :beer: