Billet Aluminium Hubs

jonny_

Hi

Just wondering about the finish on the billet aluminium hubs and if it is worth while getting them anodised to protect them and keep them clean?

Do many people run them without being anodised?

Jonny

I and a lot of other people dont bother just giving them an occaisional polish. some people prefer them anodised black to try to give a more traditional appearance. In my experience the black seems to show the dirt more than the polished finish but down to personal preferance i suppose. Either way you will still have to clean them if you want a clean finish. :thumbup:

They have to be pure aluminium in order to anodise as anything with steel in it causes problems (can't remember what but I was told this by a friend who works at a plating factory - he can't take anything with steel in it for anodising) If so, as the hubs have steel liners you can't anodise them

I'd guess the black finish is paint/powder coating - or anodised before the liner goes in.

Alan Whitton can supply replica Cub hubs in polished alloy, anodised silver or anodised black, same for the brake plates. No idea if the brake liner goes into the hub before or after anodising though.

How much does he charge for the cub hubs?

• 1 month later...

They have to be pure aluminium in order to anodise as anything with steel in it causes problems (can't remember what but I was told this by a friend who works at a plating factory - he can't take anything with steel in it for anodising) If so, as the hubs have steel liners you can't anodise them

I'd guess the black finish is paint/powder coating - or anodised before the liner goes in.

Yes Woody. Anodising is done in Sulphuric Acid. Anything ferrous will be disolved.