Did I buy the wrong bike? 4 stroke beta

trialtrial

Once the bike has been started from cold, I have never had to use the hot start. As you kick the bike over to start, open the throttle to 3/4 at the same time; works every time.

I think I only used my hot start twice. I live in South Texas, so summer rides for us can mean very high 90's and often 100 degree temperatures. As far as the engine being too hot to start, without use of the hot start button, it never happened. Instead, I used mine when it was very hot, and I had dumped the bike such that it was leaning somewhat upside down. (Bars lower than the rest of the bike). In this hot, somewhat flooded condition, the hot start button was needed to ease the process of bringing things back to life.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin. The Rev 4T throttle has a thread spacer/adjuster, and the 2 stroke domino throttle does not. The 4T cable has too much cable out from the end of housing so it needs some kind of spacer. You dont need to absolutley need an adjuster at the throttle, because there is adjustment at the carb end. Although the adjuster at the throttle is convienient. You have a few choices:

(1) Make your own spacer. I did this and made it out of aluminum. But I have a metal lathe. Works OK - but is not ideal.

(2) Thread the domino throttle and see if you can use the existing 4T threaded spacer. This would require a tap set to get the right threading, not sure if there is enough "meat" on the domino throttle to make this work.

(3) Machine down the 4T throttle tube. I tried this with out much success, but it might work. Another rider did this with success. Make sure the cable will not bind in the throttle housing. I'll might look into this again.

(4) Swedge a new end on the cable to bring it in closer to the housing.

I am currently running the white (fast) domino 2 stroke tube, it seems to work well. I might try the black tube just for the fun of it.

Thanks for that Trialtrial fitted the black slow tube and it was way to slow got a white one from one of my bantams and, WOW fantastic this bike is so soft of the bottom now. It makes throttle control way better for my ability , wound the tick over up a bit that`s also helped .Great bike realy enjoyed it last sunday at a very muddy trial :thumbup:

Thanks for that Trialtrial fitted the black slow tube and it was way to slow got a white one from one of my bantams and, WOW fantastic this bike is so soft of the bottom now. It makes throttle control way better for my ability , wound the tick over up a bit that`s also helped .Great bike realy enjoyed it last sunday at a very muddy trial :thumbup:

I am glad to hear the white throttle tube worked out. I adjusted the idle/tickover as well just to be a little higher. I am getting the same results - such a great bike now for me. I am really loving it. I just need to figure out the hot start problem. Seems that others dont have the same issue, ah well - wouldn't be the first time I was alone in the woods!

kick over slowly ish.....

Agreed. The Beta (and Montesa) prefer to be pushed through the stroke smoothly, rather than kicked. And I cannot stress enough the ease that comes from pushing through the stroke, to find top dead center, before you try and start it. That way your kick is passing through power, exhaust, intake, and then compression. Gives you a chance to get a little flywheel action going, before you hit compression again.

Ralphy,

I think what your explaining is what in enduro bike circles we called "the gasp". That slight crack of the throttle lets fresh air in. Hot air is not what engines like. the throttle twiddle may help.

The steady push of the starter is the four banger trick though.