Did I buy the wrong bike? 4 stroke beta

trialtrial

I dont compete - I use my trials bike to putt-putt along west coast rooty, rocky single track. I used to ride a GG 2000 txt 280 and it worked really well for this type of riding. With the trials bike I can "style" the trail, whereas with enduro or MX I just end up "brute force" bashing things. I like going slow and styling the trails.

Anyways the old 2000 GasGas still works, but is really worn out. So I thought I would get a later model bike. So I went searching for a newer trials bike I can use for my single track technical riding. I wanted something known to be mellow. I read a ton of topics about my type of riding and the 2005 Montesssa 4RT and 2008 Beta Rev 4T kept on popping up. Well, turns out there were used models of both of these for sale. Since the Beta was newer and had better reviews - I tried it out. I did a short ride in the parking lot I decided to buy the beta. It was in really nice shape. I thought I would get used to the jerkiness of the throttle and decomp.

OK, now after two rides this weekend I am wondering if I bought the right type of bike. I am having difficuly controlling the throttle at slow speeds for technical work and the decompression is driving me bonkers. With the GG I could put-put along with the flywheel keeping things going, but with the 4T - I shut off the throttle and boom I slow down now! I thought the decomp would be great thing to have for downhills, but I think I am really regretting it.

I totally understand they are a different riding technique and I need time to learn it - but I am wondering: for my type of riding - did I get the wrong bike?

:-(

Too early to decide methinks but I can see the problem with re-adjusting back to a 2-st once you get into the 4-st 'groove'.

With a 4-st you do have to throttle 'earlier' and 'longer' when it comes to getting over an obstacle (something that will get you into trouble with a modern 2-st).

I had some time on a 4-st then when I went back to my own 2-stroker, I nearly came a cropper when I applied the 4-st technique to my 2-st !! :dunce:

I would have thought a 4 banger would be much better as a trailer than a 2 smoke?

Here's a question;-

With that extra engine braking ,do 4strokers ever need to replace their brake pads? :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've an 07 4t. Had it from new. Just fitted a slow action throttle which helps slow speed control. You need a cable spacer. Would like more flywheel if I'm honest. You'll get used to it and won't miss mixing fuel.

Look up tubby trials team on you tube.

Yes, you still wear out rear brake pads, although I found rear tire wear was longer.

Swapping back to the 2 stroke was not bad at all. Took me much less time to feel right on the bike again than when I went to the 4t. Added bonus, I now feel better giving the 2t a few extra seconds waiting to see if it will make an obstacle before the foot goes down do to the 4t doing things slower anyway. Feel more comfortable giving the 2t time now.

Aaron

Just an update. I had a local mechanic take a look. He did a few tweaks (valves, carb, throttle cable). I also put on a slower throttle tube. Combined with using the clutch a bit more, I have *way* better slow speed control - just what I wanted. No more inadvertent launching too. I now have a nice grin on my face.

I am really enjoying this bike.

(now if I can just figure out the darn hot start - but thats another thread...)

Good that you found some ways to tweak the bike to fit you better

I have seen a lot of times where a rider won't really try to adjust their riding style to suit a different bike, they do the same thing and then don't like the bike

Actually a lot of riders don't go out and simply practice

It's hard but you need to pick one thing that doesn't feel right and just practice that for a bit, then pick another and do it again

Form new habits

I'd sure like to try a 4 stroke to see what it does different

I've an 07 4t. Had it from new. Just fitted a slow action throttle which helps slow speed control. You need a cable spacer. Would like more flywheel if I'm honest. You'll get used to it and won't miss mixing fuel.

Look up tubby trials team on you tube.

Hi just got a 4t and have been reading with interest , also i have a black domino tube in the parts draw but whats a cable spacer ??? is it the threaded type of thing thats in the top of carbs :dunce:

Hi just got a 4t and have been reading with interest , also i have a black domino tube in the parts draw but whats a cable spacer ??? is it the threaded type of thing thats in the top of carbs :dunce:

Hi Martin. The Rev 4T throttle has a thread spacer/adjuster, and the 2 stroke domino throttle does not. The 4T cable has too much cable out from the end of housing so it needs some kind of spacer. You dont need to absolutley need an adjuster at the throttle, because there is adjustment at the carb end. Although the adjuster at the throttle is convienient. You have a few choices:

(1) Make your own spacer. I did this and made it out of aluminum. But I have a metal lathe. Works OK - but is not ideal.

(2) Thread the domino throttle and see if you can use the existing 4T threaded spacer. This would require a tap set to get the right threading, not sure if there is enough "meat" on the domino throttle to make this work.

(3) Machine down the 4T throttle tube. I tried this with out much success, but it might work. Another rider did this with success. Make sure the cable will not bind in the throttle housing. I'll might look into this again.

(4) Swedge a new end on the cable to bring it in closer to the housing.

I am currently running the white (fast) domino 2 stroke tube, it seems to work well. I might try the black tube just for the fun of it.

Edited by TrialTrial

Actually a lot of riders don't go out and simply practice.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Buy a new bike, and immediately start making mods to try and make it act just like your old bike, rather than spending time learning the unique qualities of the new one.

With that said, every 2-stroke I have owned ultimately gets a slow throttle. It just works better, for me. But, when I had my Beta Rev4T, I had no need to change the throttle tube. I thought I did, at the very beginning, because that is what I always do. But, after riding the bike a while, it seemed to work just right, the way it was. Plus, the design of the CV carb just doesn't lend itself to the 2-stroke throttle tubes, slow or fast.

So, I am having a hard time grasping everyone's urgency to swap it out, and most likely create a less dependable setup, possibly prone to getting hung, after being ground, filed, cut and butchered. As you said... "go out and simply practice."

Just an update. I had a local mechanic take a look. He did a few tweaks (valves, carb, throttle cable). I also put on a slower throttle tube. Combined with using the clutch a bit more, I have *way* better slow speed control - just what I wanted. No more inadvertent launching too. I now have a nice grin on my face.

I am really enjoying this bike.

(now if I can just figure out the darn hot start - but thats another thread...)

Once the bike has been started from cold, I have never had to use the hot start. As you kick the bike over to start, open the throttle to 3/4 at the same time; works every time.