Help i've submerged my Sherco

jimmyparko

Hi I'm new to the site and need a bit of help

I recently bought a 2003 Sherco 200cc and today on my second outing whilst riding through what i thought was a shallow river i suddenly hit a deep part submerging my bike for around 40 seconds, needless to say the engine cut out. Once back on dry land i tried kicking it off and had no joy. After draining the Exhaust Air Filter and removing the Spark plug and kicking it over i thought we be able to fire it up again but no such luck

After a couple of hrs tinkering we managed to fire it up but when i applied more throttle is seemed to bog down as though it was starved of air or fuel and cut out

i removed the air filter and changed the fuel and and after a while iwe managed to get it running again but it still seemed starved of fuel or air. I managed to ride it back to the car which was about 1/4 mile away on low throttle and coughing and spluttering along.

I'm just after some ideas as to what i need to do now i.e what parts to strip down and where else they may be water trapped..

and the final big question HAVE I COMPLETLEY BUGGERED MY BIKE or will it be back to working order in no time????

Cheers Jimmy

Bad luck mate. Usual practice is to stand bike on the back wheel to drain the exhaust, take the plug out and with the bike upside down turn the back wheel with the bike in gear to drive the water out. If you kicked the motor over before getting the water out and with the spark plug still installed there's a good chance you've damaged the reeds which could account for the poor running. Provided the water was clean there shouldn't be a problem provided you can get the motor hot enough to dry everything out before the mains, etc start to corrode.

as above turn upside down with plug out n turn over would pay to remove exhaust n dry out also clean carb n filter out , cant see it harming the reeds but kicking it over and running it with water in the engine could and can bend the conrod it will run but not quite right if this has happened

This happened to my dads bike.

My uncle went up a massive hill and overshot it, landing it in a pond. The bike was completely under water.

It was a Sherco too!

My dad stripped the whole bike, turned it upside down in the garage to dry out for a few days. Then basically whilst it was all apart serviced the whole bike, new oil... absolutely everything was done to it and the bike still lives!

So no I wouldn't say you have completely buggered your bike, because if my dad sorted his I'm sure you can get yours running again.

Unless you were WOT when it sucked water , I wouldn't worry about damaging anything. probably still some water in the carb , or air filter was still wet. I'm assuming you put it back on for the ride back.

BTW it's best to get them started and ridden right away to dry every thing out

In addition to previous suggestions, I would change the transmission oil, possibly more than once until it comes out clean. I would also take the reed block off and fill the crank case with 2 stroke mix, then tip the bike upside down to drain it out again, This makes sure the oil washed of your main bearings is replenished and any dust washed through your air filter is rinsed out. Remove ignition coover and dry out with hair drier leaving cover off overnight, then give it a shot of WD40. The sooner you get the bike well warmed up and dried out the better.

Permanent damage? I've known many flooded bikes never had any problems from it and the odd few have ignition, main bearing or big end failure in the following weeks.

Cheers

I drowned out my 2000 sherco 2.9 a few years ago. Did the upside down thing to drain the water out after silly me kicked the bike over a couple time in the stream with the water in and the plug still in. Got it fired back up and finished the event. Down side is the stream had quite a bit of silt and sediment that got sucked into my cases and ruined my rings and crank bearings. Although I did ride it for 2 years before changing rings and bearings. It was still running when I changed them but ran 1000% better after I changed them out.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply folks

I got the Sherco stripped down and all dryed out with the help of the wifes Hair dryer. While i was at it i give everything a good clean up and changed the Trans Oil. The bike is now back together but still cuts out when i give it a fist full of throttle and it is also a Pig to start.

I can get the revs up to full throttle if i gently run it up slowly but when i give it a big hand full it just dies on me also i get smoke coming out of the air filter.

I believe the problem to be a plugged exhaust as when i taken the sliencer off it started first kick every time i couldn't mess about with it too much as i live in a quiet close and it sounded like we were being bombarded with gun fire ha ha..

The bike revved up a bit better but sounded like it was gonna cut out so i hit the kill switch.

I'm going to take the bike somewhere remote tomorrow and give it a blast without the sliencer to see how she goes.

Does the Plugged exhaust sound about right or is there something alse i need to be looking at

Cheers guys i will let you know how i get on tomorrow

Jimmy

I had water in my carb, and luckily a mate knows what he was doing and removed the float bowl and jets and blasted it all with carb cleaner.

It revved cleanly after that and finished the day with no problems.

Alan

I had water in my carb, and luckily a mate knows what he was doing and removed the float bowl and jets and blasted it all with carb cleaner.

It revved cleanly after that and finished the day with no problems.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply i've already had the carb fully stripped down and cleaned out if i dont get any joy tomorrow i will do it again and give it a blast with carb cleaner as i only washed it out with hot water and then petrol

Regards Jimmy

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply i've already had the carb fully stripped down and cleaned out if i dont get any joy tomorrow i will do it again and give it a blast with carb cleaner as i only washed it out with hot water and then petrol

Regards Jimmy

Never seen a muff that plugged! Get a fresh plug. If the motor had sudden stoppage, flywheel key could have sheared. Just thoughts. :rolleyes:

Well ive had the exhaust off and still no joy. I was speaking to a friend today and ran him through my problem and he suggested it could be a sheered reed petal so i stripped it down and low and behold not 1 but 2 sheered reed petals. I have ordered some from a local dealer today so fingers crossed the Sherco should be up and running again by the weekend..

Well ive had the exhaust off and still no joy. I was speaking to a friend today and ran him through my problem and he suggested it could be a sheered reed petal so i stripped it down and low and behold not 1 but 2 sheered reed petals. I have ordered some from a local dealer today so fingers crossed the Sherco should be up and running again by the weekend..

Well, that is good to hear in a way, as I admit I was a bit hesitant about going there as I have never seen the stock reeds break, yet another lesson learned, but it must have taken some really hard water force to do it! Did you find the pieces?

Pity, I have some stock reeds I could send you, but it would take a week or more for you to get them!

Thank s for the update! :thumbup: