New guy! Few questions on a Beta Rev 3

blackbetty

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum, I am more of a 4 stroke chopper guy and spend my time on those associated builder's forums. However, I recently acquired a 2000 Beta Rev 3 250 to fix up after a long 3 year indoor storage. The bike was not properly prepped for such a long storage, so I went ahead and did the usual steps in reviving a neglected machine. Truth be told, this is my first foray into a 2-stroke motorcycle (I'm a city kid).

The Beta in question has very low miles, but was put in storage with fuel in the tank, so I did the standard maintenance as listed below following recommendations from previous Beta threads:

Drained tank, replaced fuel line and filter

Changed crankcase oil with Mobil1 10-40 synthetic

Changed coolant with Dex Cool

Premix 93 octane with Castor 927, 70:1

Rebuilt Mikuni roundslide; factory jetting and middle needle position

Replaced air filter and intake manifold with new genuine Beta parts from Lampkins

Reeds looked ok so I left them alone

Replaced plug with new NGK BR7ES

Replaced chain with a new 520 trials chain

Flushed brakes and clutch

After all of this I confirmed spark, then filled the tank w fresh premix and the bike fired up on choke after one kick. I pulled the silencer to replace the packing and left it off for the first run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BMHvqHtWAI

I'm wondering if the Beta guys can tell me what they think about this idle? Motor is popping, but from other Beta videos this seems to be normal. It seems a little thirsty and seems to struggle a little when I give it gas, but this improves the more I start it and as the engine warms up.

Does this idle sound right? Also, would anyone care to suggest a proper mix screw setting for this Mikuni?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

That sounds good to me, they always have a loping downrev due to the heavy flywheel and clutch and they fire on the down rev as well which is different from a 4 stroke

Set your air screw and idle on the trail after the engine is full temp

There is no exact setting, use your ear, you just set it with your finger anyway

you need to ride it to clear it out then make adjustments it sounds loud and bangy at tick over which indicates rich fuel at low rpm so i would turn out the air screw untill it smooths out ,also once mudguard and cover is fitted it will run much richer again as this will restrict the airflow back to normal