To wear or not to wear ....Body Armour

slickgolf_0

Yes , my nephew had some for MX , I tried them once when I had a badly sprained wrist , at least I could ride , but kinda awkward if you don't have an injury, for me anyway.

But if that's what it takes to go riding :thumbup:

I had this titanium installed last week after what i thought was a minor trials crash;

Wrist002.jpg

wrist05.jpg

wrist03.jpg

wrist04.jpg

I fell about 1-2 metres over the bars of my Sherco while decending steeply into a creek section in my backyard and destroyed my wrist when i reached out to cushion my fall. The surgeon said my wrist was very shattered and also said my bone is very strong so it was either a much higher fall than i thought or the bike landed on me. I swear i've had bigger stacks than this one and as usual i was wearing a helmet, gloves, riding pants, riding boots - all the normal safety gear. And the clincher, there wasn't a scratch or mark on the bike ;) I couldn't ride it back up from down the creek so i had to get a mate to come out and rescue my bike. I had just been playing around with the rear shock to stiffen it a bit... perhaps this caught me off guard?

Anyway the surgeon told me to stay off the bike for 4 months. :( When i get back into it in march 2012 i'm going to be very sedate with my riding ;) and have a whole new appreciation for the damage minor crashes can cause ;)

Actually the surgeon did say that i could ride my bike earlier, as long as i didn't wear a helmet... hmmm... ;)

cheers

• 10 years later...

I don't think there's a definitive answer. A lot can depend on how you fall and all the conditions. I mean I've broken ribs and collar bone (separate crashes) while wearing full armour so it can still happen. I would say wear enough to make you feel confident and enjoy riding verses acceptable risk.