To wear or not to wear ....Body Armour

slickgolf_0

Hi

I am fairly new to the sport of trials.

After 18 months of cuts and bruises I have taken to wearing some armour , knee and elbow .

It has made a huge difference and will not ride without it now.

I know the pros would not be seen dead wearing armour but why do so many club riders refuse to wear any , its the club rider that takes most of the damage.

I use light weight mountain bike gear , it does not get in the way , it gets a little hot in the warmer weather but its a trade I am happy to live with.

What is the general feeling from the old timers of trials ?

Hi

After 18 months of cuts and bruises I have taken to wearing some armour , knee and elbow .

I know the pros would not be seen dead wearing armour but why do so many club riders refuse to wear any , its the club rider that takes most of the damage.

I use light weight mountain bike gear , it does not get in the way , it gets a little hot in the warmer weather but its a trade I am happy to live with.

I started riding Trials in the ski cap (the louder color, the better, and you just HAD to a little yarn ball at the top) and goggles era (we didn't wear helmets until some of us got hold of some Bell kite soaring helmets that had the large cut-out at the back that didn't dig into our necks) but I'm a firm believer that you should use any protective equipment you feel is necessary. I don't think any "real" Trials rider will think less of you for taking care of yourself.

Jon

ps. I started riding scrambles with an old "Stadium" pudding bowl helmet, so I guess I've always felt safety is an issue. Then again, it may be why I'm still able to ride...:)

Edited by JSE

There is the bare minimum (helmet)

and there is the extreme (suit of armor)

And most of us fall somewhere in between. Wear what YOU feel is necessary and YOU are comfortable with.

I personally wear Helmet, Alpinestar boots, Gloves, Ankle braces (twisted one up pretty bad), Knee brace (Arthritis from prior work related injury), T shirt and Shorts. I know the shorts makes no sense especially after I mention I have burned my leg TWICE on the header pipe :dunce: (Took special skill too considering it was my left leg and the header is on the right side)

I will putter around the yard with out all the safety stuff, but I won't do any "serious" riding without all my kit, just don't feel comfortable without it.

" (Took special skill too considering it was my left leg and the header is on the right side)"

You still riding around backwards ????

Glenn :banana2:

Side saddle..he's a lady dont'cha know.

As to the original post..wear it, I don't but I'm looking into it.

Edited by HAM2

Just the usual lid,boots and gloves..for trials,and for mx/xc and enduro lid,boots,gloves and neckbrace.

Nothing is 100% safe but lets face it unless your splatting large rocks you would be unlucky to pick up a serious injury doing trials,the human body will take a hell of a lot more punishement than some people think especially at christmas :guinness::biggrinsanta:

I've wondered the same thing. For enduro/mx i wear everything except a neck brace (only because i havent got one)

I'm going to wear knee pads and body armour for trials but wondered if I would get funny looks.

I've smacked knees and elbows on rocks before and it really isnt funny. It can put you out for weeks. Easily avoided.

Hi

any chance of you posting links to where you get the stuff from?

First time was stupid, laid the bike down with my left leg in between front tire and header pipe.

Side saddle...

UUUMMMM yep that is how it happened the second time. I was goofing around and riding the loop side saddle with my left ankle on my right knee, actually pretty dang funny when pulling up to a section. I was in 5th gear and slowed way down and turned to go up a medium steep hill, the bike was just a chugging and then stalled and fell over to the left. My left leg came down right on the hot header. stung a bit at the time but did not really hurt until a few days later.

Odd, I thought exposed skin could handle higher temperatures........... :dunce: (please see my signature)

I wear Acerbis81bb93be69bdf46fb9583abbe95a.jpgmainly for the arm,elbow,shoulder protection , full face helmet , gloves , knee braces(prior bad knee ,protecting the other), trials boots. I'm 47 and still try stuff I probably shouldn't , I don't ride in much soft terrain.

Lookin at some of the hits my armor has taken , and I didn't even notice , probably wouldn't be ridin much any more.

I'd rather ride a little worse in my armor today , and come back to ride again tomorrow.

I've seen ALOT of DNF's because of a very minor dirt nap , and alot of yard sales and the rider got up and finished.

WOW that image came out BIG :shutup:

Edited by toothandnail