FUEL IN EXHAUST AND BACKFIRE

nicbrrghs

hi,

I have taken of the stator cover cleaned and replaced it.The spark seems great and the plug does get wet. I noticed there was fuel getting into the exhaust it did run with the exhaust off for about 10 secs now with it back on it either backfires or doesnt do anything at all. I have had float height mentioned to me but as yet havent checked it, but did take float needle out and blow threw the hole. and I have blown out the carb with comressed air.

Any ideas I was looking forward to using it during christmas with my boys but it doesnt look good.

All help gratefully recieved.!!!!

When you say you took off the stator cover, do you mean the flywheel? If so its worth checking that you put it back with the woodruff key in place. Also if you didn't tighten it enough it is possible that the key has sheared putting the timing out (hence the cause of the backfire)

When you say you took off the stator cover, do you mean the flywheel? If so its worth checking that you put it back with the woodruff key in place. Also if you didn't tighten it enough it is possible that the key has sheared putting the timing out (hence the cause of the backfire)

Yep Ive had the flywheel of to check the woodruff key but it seemed intact and i tightened the nut with a electric impact driver. I could check again but am confident it is on right.

If you have fuel in the exhaust, then the crank is flooded which wets the plug right away. Leave the gas off and remove front pipe to try to remove excess fuel. You need to clean the carb to stop the flooding and a new plug would not hurt.

Take the fuklel pipe off the carb with the fuel tap turned off to check the fuel tap is working. Sometimes a leaking tap fills the engine with fuel when the bike is parked up.

Cheers

Thanks for all the help i have time in a few days to try all the 'fixes'