What is the kickstart made out of?

benwall

Hi

Does anyone know What the kickstart made out of? on the rev 3

as i have adamadged it around the bit that atatches the lever to the shaft (aparently happens alot on betas (when you drop them on ther kickstart hard) :crying: )it works but it could do with welding or something as it is gradualy cooming a bit more loose.

Thanks

Edited by benwall

Welding may be difficult. Starter levers are usually made from a weird alloy.

Option 1. Budget for a new original.

Option 2. Have the damaged section (presuming it ovaled out?) machine and a collar fitted inside to take up the slack.

Option 3. Take the whole starter section to a machine shop and see if they can make a new section for the damaged part.

My own experience of damaged starters is just save all the hassle and get a replacement. I have tried all of the above many times and everytime I end up having to buy a new one.

If the starter is damaged from kicking, you need to modify your kick style. Think of a hard and firm push not an actual kick.

Hope you get it sorted?

Welding may be difficult. Starter levers are usually made from a weird alloy.

Option 1. Budget for a new original.

Option 2. Have the damaged section (presuming it ovaled out?) machine and a collar fitted inside to take up the slack.

Option 3. Take the whole starter section to a machine shop and see if they can make a new section for the damaged part.

My own experience of damaged starters is just save all the hassle and get a replacement. I have tried all of the above many times and everytime I end up having to buy a new one.

If the starter is damaged from kicking, you need to modify your kick style. Think of a hard and firm push not an actual kick.

Hope you get it sorted?

Thanks mate :thumbup:, i seemed to think it would be some weird alloy, il probaly buy a new one and carry it around in my tool box until this one breaks. And how i broke it, it fell off the back of a builders truck while being ridden up to be transported and it landed hard on the kickstart side on the conrrete :crying:

the part that fastens to the actual shaft is steel and can be welded they tend to crack around the weld where the bolt fastens it on , the upper part that swings out is alloy which an engineer could possibly weld

:thumbup: Thank you that is exacualy were it has broke. You might have just saved me

You can try but I have always found it goes wrong. I had the same issue on an XR400 I had. Steel carrier but alloy arm. The arm pivot hole split. It was welded but failed soon after. The alloy is a naff mix that makes a alloy repair difficult.

What you could try though (which I didn't) is to have an enginerr build up around the whole area like shuttering for concrete. Once the area is filled it can be ground back to an acceptable shape?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin

See the above link, chances are the kickstart is made out of Duraluminium or something very similar. It can be welded. It needs to be TIG welded using a matching filler rod and left for about two weeks after welding to re age harden.

If your local TIG welder does not have Dural filler then high silicon 4043 filler will usually do.

The two weeks is an educated guess, If you use it within a few hours of welding it will almost certainly fail as the alloy will still be soft.

Cheers

If the shaft section is ok, you can make up the lever section out of steel, made 1 out of ree bar (steel bar used in concrete) for a mates gasser not had any problems with it saved him £100. only thing different was a weight. starter are made from cast alloy, very hard to weld.

Edited by mad1

Can't help but agree - an alarming number of people seem to start kicking 6" before their foot contacts the lever.

Can't help but agree - an alarming number of people seem to start kicking 6" before their foot contacts the lever.

They ought to try starting a 500cc Ariel - they would soon learn what its all about.(Esp if the timing was left on full advance ! )