Evo 300 factory 2t

beta300factory

Hi I bought my new beta evo 300 factory 2t about a month ago and about after 5 hours use I started having a fault with the bike! It would start and run with the choke on but when I put the choke off it would just die! Would only run with it on then after a few minutes it would clear and seen to be ok again! This fault has developed and now I'm down in power and it Bogs down dies then slowly gets better but not 100%! The last time it happend I quickly checked the fuel filter and it was completely empty just a trickle of fuel just enough to keep it running and no more then loads of air bubbles and some fuel started to fill the filter again! But not enough still down in power a bit! Any ideas? Very annoying my 1st brand new bike and problems allready!!! Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Strongly pointing at a fuel supply problem.

If you take the fuel pipe of the tap and turn it on, does it flow freely? Check the on and reserve setting.

If your getting flow then you have a carb issue. Probably the pilot jet is blocked?

If the flow is poor then you need to unbolt the tap from the tank and check the tank doesw not have welding splatter or debris preventing fuel flow. You may need to to this bit with a piece of coat hanger wire.

Whilst the tap is of try blowing through it on all settings. If a filter lurks within take it out and clean it.

Lastly (probably first though as it is easy) take the fuel vent pipe of the filler cap and check its not blocked. If no air can get in your getting a vacuum which is stopping the flow.

Good luck, I'm now going to think about it further :guinness:

Had a simular problem with my rev3 it turned out to be that the carb needle was slightly bent so it was bogging down and dieing, so i would check that if i was you. Aparently carb needles bend quite a bit ither from gradual wear or opending or closing the throtle hard, or crashing.

Good luck

Edited by benwall

Thanks for the quick reply !! I was thinking the fuel cap was faulty as well! Not venting! I stripped the carb and it was immaculately clean both jets clean and not blocked! I also took the fuel pipe off the carb and checked fuel flow on all settings and it seemed fine ! Fuel cap intermittently not venting ? When I blow through it it makes a funny noise! ??

Why would a blocked pilot jet stop fuel flow from tank,tap through filter into carb?

Have you run the bike after cleaning the carb? Many times you may never find the culprit bit, as they are soo tiny as to block the pilot jet.

Most caps or vents have a one way ck valve to allow venting in as fuel declines, but not fuel out! :rolleyes:

I have only run the bike in the garage it seems fine but won't know until the weekend when I give it a run! I have ordered a new tank cap just incase I have an intermittent fault ! Would a blocked jet cause the fuel filter to empty? The last time it happend I quickly checked the filter and it was empty! Then slowly started to fill, bubbling up like mad as it was filling? ?

If the fuel filter is occasionally going dry, I would think there is an issue with the vent at the gas cap. Pay close attention to the vent hose itself. Blow into it to if it is flowing freely. When the EVO first came out, my vent tube once got kinked up underneath that plastic shroud that bolts to the side of the fuel tank. Apparently once when I stuffed the hose in there it somehow got kinked and tangled up among the clutch/front brake lines and the throttle cable. As soon as I detached it from the cap, the bike ran fine. Might be worth looking at. Hope this helps!

The only reason I mentioned the pilot jet is if the flow was OK. The pilot jet is crucial to low speed running i.e throttle shut to just open. You mentioned it would run with the choke applied. This happens as the richening the choke does can counteract the blocked pilot jet and let it run.

If you are still getting no flow then the tank cap is looking like no1 suspect. Is the inline filter horizontal or vertical? Mine sits in a horizontal location and barely ever gets more than a third full. I am not getting the problems you describe though.

It's risky and may be a bit messy but to rule out the cap you could put only 500mls of fuel in the tank (so it does not fly out everywhere and go for a blat up the road with no cap fitted at all? If it runs sweet with no dying on 4th/5th gear wide open throttle tests then you know the fuel cap is duff?

Hi

If you run a pipe from the fuel tap back into a fuel can then turn the tap on with the filler cap on this will see if your filler cap is faulty. It may take some time before the flow is effected. If the cap is a problem you will hear it suck air when you open the cap.

Good luck Pete

Hi guys! I have been having a look at the bike tonight, my new fuel cap/vent came today, so fitted the cap and fired her up! She seems to be running fine but this is an intermittent fault! So gave her a wee run round the garden and in and out the drive, then let her idle for a few minutes watching the fuel filter, as the bike was idling the filter slowly emptys it's self untill there is just a trickle in there! So had a look at the fuel pipe from tap to carb! It seems far too long and does not look routed correctly! It comes out the tap then nearly kinks as its resting on the back of the cylinder head!!! Then goes down and then back up before going into the carb! There are chaffing marks on two bits of the pipe where it's resting/ rubbing on the hot! Head! This can't be routed correctly! I had a look at the manual and there is a picture of the pipe going straight up over the fuel tap switch can anyone put up a picture of there pipe routing on there evo? Also where it is rubbing there are dryed out oil marks on the head like fuel has been leaking where it has been rubbing but the rub marks don't look bad enough to have leaked yet!!!!

Now were getting somewhere!

If it were me I'd get new fuel pipe and filter and re route the whole lot and cut to length as required.

You may well have had a melted fuel pipe and the heat has then re sealed it where it rubs? Like you say, this is not ideal and needs to be changed asap.

I reckon if you do this then your issue will vanish. :thumbup: