Spongey Front brake!

nige02

I've been bleeding the front brake and I can't seem to get the spongyness out of the lever. I've tried pushing the fluid from the nipple up and I've tried pushing the fluid down using the lever.

I can build up some pressure, but the lever is still spongy. Can anyone help, as it's doing my head in!!!

Any pointers will be appreciated, Merry Christmas.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

how old is the brake hose? These can deteriorate over the years and start to expand under pressure causing sponginess? Also check for damage in the hose which will again have the same effect. A new master cylinder seal kit never goes wrong either?

....and as you're probably aware, ALWAYS use new fluid from a sealed container.

If all else fails ask Santa for a new bike :kerstsmiley:

GJ :biggrinsanta:

Hi Rich,

how old is the brake hose? These can deteriorate over the years and start to expand under pressure causing sponginess? Also check for damage in the hose which will again have the same effect. A new master cylinder seal kit never goes wrong either?

....and as you're probably aware, ALWAYS use new fluid from a sealed container.

If all else fails ask Santa for a new bike :kerstsmiley:

GJ :biggrinsanta:

The bike is 2010, so I assume the brake hose should be ok, including the master cylinder!

You've got some slack or clearance between the lever and the master cylinder plunger, right? If you haven't this could be the cause of your problem. Provided you've got the correct clearance this is what I'd do. Turn the handlebars to full left hand lock, so the brake master cylinder is the highest part of the bike. Remove the reservoir lid, top up with fluid if necessary and gently sqeeze the brake lever; just by about half an inch. Its not necessary to pull the lever to the bars. If there is air in the system you will see minute bubbles appear in the reservoir each time you release the lever. Repeat until the lever is firm. Replace reservoir lid and ride! Good luck.

The bike is 2010, so I assume the brake hose should be ok, including the master cylinder!

hi , work the lever withe cap off if you see small bubbles come through keep doing this untill they stop there is an art to bleeding bike brakes nothing like a car brake plus if you have just fitted new pads it will be spongy untill they bed in

Hi,

If your hose is good condition and not swelling under pressure, and you have new fluid in it. Then you problem will just be airated fluid. Cable tie your lever in against the bar overnight, When you release in the morning your spongy feeling should be sorted

Paul