2008 Beta 4T running rough

trialtrial

About every 3rd or 4th ride, when I start the bike, it runs rough. Poor idle. Like the timing is messed up. I ride it around for a while - that seems to help. Other times, it starts right up, idles excellent.

I noticed a couple of comments from other Beta 4T owners having the same problem.

If anyone else had this problem with their Rev 4T - how did you correct it?

About every 3rd or 4th ride, when I start the bike, it runs rough. Poor idle. Like the timing is messed up. I ride it around for a while - that seems to help. Other times, it starts right up, idles excellent.

I noticed a couple of comments from other Beta 4T owners having the same problem.

If anyone else had this problem with their Rev 4T - how did you correct it?

have you given the carb a good clean?

Rather than posting on this web-site - why don't you either contact your local dealer just down the road at Shawnigan Lake or phone Mountain Motorcycles in Vancouver ? - Just a suggestion. !!!

Surely thats the whole point of a forum i.e. to glean information from fellow riders. Trips to bike shops cost money. Forums don't. This forum has helped me sort out so many problems over the years.

In answering the question though, I would follow the advice that others have given. Could be worth checking all the 4 stroke stuff like valve clearences and tappets. Also, youve got a diaphragm carb on the 4t so its worth giving that a good blow out. Its a bit of a fiddly carb. Also the rubber boot on the cylinder side that the carb goes into hasnt got a huge amount of purchase on it so make sure that it is seated well. Hope this helps.

Perhaps you have an engine side carb air leak????

Is you petrol fresh (see how i avoided asking if your gas is fresh..... gas=fart.... oh don't worry) ????

Check your kill switch and if you have the factory fitted control unit.......put it in the trash and fit a new square yamaha type.

Thanks all for the tips. Here is the scoop:

Kill switch already replaced.

Valves were done about 10hrs ago.

Good fuel (good gas too).

I tore down the carb - everything was spotless, blew it all out anyways.

I started to look at the CDI, then noticed one of the wires going into the CDI was melted from touching the exhaust. I pulled out the unit and inspected the damage. Very corroded - to the point of coppery blue poweder on the wires. Looks like it will still conduct, but probably adding a bunch of resistance. Unfortunately its right next to the CDI box so there is not enough wire to form a good splice.

Edited by TrialTrial

Thanks all for the tips. Here is the scoop:

Kill switch already replaced.

Valves were done about 10hrs ago.

Good fuel (good gas too).

I tore down the carb - everything was spotless, blew it all out anyways.

I started to look at the CDI, then noticed one of the wires going into the CDI was melted from touching the exhaust. I pulled out the unit and inspected the damage. Very corroded - to the point of coppery blue poweder on the wires. Looks like it will still conduct, but probably adding a bunch of resistance. Unfortunately its right next to the CDI box so there is not enough wire to form a good splice.

Sounds like you may be onit! Clean it, tapee it, whatever, just keep it away! :thumbup: