beta 08 just stopped mid trial

mill9898

I presume that you have tried totally removing the kill button to see if that is shorting out the coil??

The standard Beta kill button fails after a while. Trace the wire from the kill button to the small connector near the steering head, separate the connector and try for a spark.

If it is a one wire after market kill button, it earths to the frame, so just remove if off the handlbars so there is no circuit and try.

Maybe you'll be lucky!

If there are two wires from the kill switch then one wire comes from the low tension side of the coil, and the other goes to earth somewhere on the bike. Operating the kill button just joins these wires so that the LT side voltage goes to zero, and the coil does not produce a spark.

So you must disconnect both wires - there is probably a little plug somewhere near the steering head, the kill switch is no longer in the circuit and you may get a spark at the spark plug if the rest of the system is ok.

If you try to start the bike with the kill button disconnected, have some thick gloves ready for pulling the spark plug lead off just incase the engine revs!!!

It has to be said that bikes around 08 did have stator problems, but yours may have been changed already.

When you remove the flywheel cover is it all clean and dry??

Hope it's the kill circuit!!!

i have just orderd a new stator from lampkins, and spoken to a guy who said that if i use the kill button it will knack the stator ? , and also any tips on how to keep the stator dry?

Edited by mill9898

i have just orderd a new stator from lampkins, and spoken to a guy who said that if i use the kill button it will knack the stator ? , and also any tips on how to keep the stator dry?

Lots of opinions on this, but some people drill a 4mm hole (or cut a v shaped nick) in the bottom of the stator cover to allow water to drain out. Probably a good idea to also pull the stator cover off after a wet ride or washing the bike, lean the bike over and drain any moisture out and spray with WD40 to disperse moisture.

Once again Dan it's a pleasure to find you have made a thorough, objective and constructive contribution. Wires and I have and never will mix, you have shed a (forgive the pun)little light on a grey area. I was aware of anodising as amethod of insulating ally but never duh put 2 + 2 to make 4. Just for info I am running a new Evo as supplied and waiting for a problem.. there is a young lad locally who's bike is c. 4 weeks older than mine he has had problems twice already.

i have had an 03 beta from new, never had an issue. i do though remove the flywheel cover after cleaning and leave it off until i load the bike up.. its wthe work of a couple of minutes and ensures the flywheel stator can breathe and lose any moisture dampness in thier..

Uh thanks. I damn near pooped twinkies whan I figured out how mine was wired. Bad bad bad design. I did notice a few years ago Beta was looking for an electrical engineer. Boy was I tempted.

In my world (mechanical Eng.) you can often get away with bad design and good materials.. but bad design & cheapest materials would need an aufull lot of luck to make it reliable. Perhaps it's the same in this area? It's really ironic.. I mean trials started out as a trial of reliability rather than how many backflips and double axle twists the rider could make so say in the interest of marketing "the product". Manufacturers seem to be dedicated to save money on manufacturing processes and control in order to pay for this sales promotion which has very little bearing on the average paying/buying customer... ho hum it seems I'm in the minority of one with this kind of logic. Fortunatly for me I've had a real good innings and intend to keep on until I drop, I don't really care what future generations make of thier opportunities, it's up to them they're certainly not going to listen or associate with to an old codger demanding value for money.

Edited by chewy