Mick Andrews

ossagripper250

No chance. I like them both but the MAR edges it..... :rolleyes:

Mick has the best of both, a MAR chassis with a 350 Gripper motor that his friends in Spain have built. Probably won't see it over here but I'll bet it is one well sorted bike

post-13-1114016875.jpg

Don't be put off by what people say about the Gripper, they aren't bad bikes. Just like anything old if everything is worn it will give the wrong impression. Steve Bisby from Sheffield has a pretty well sorted 250 Gripper and that rides nicely as I've tried it. There is nothing trick on it, just rebuilt with rear shocks that work, although it took ages of fiddling to get them that way and MAR MK1 front forks which are a bit shorter than standard. All Ossas after 1976 had absurdly long front forks and you had to drop the top yolk a couple of inches or so to balance the bike up.

One thing that is true about them though is that they are absolute b******s to work on. Nothing is easily accesible, especially the rear bottom engine bolt. You need the hands of a pixie.

One thing they can benfit from as do most older bikes is lowering the footrests but depends how tall you are as to whether you feel too tipped forward on it - under 6' and they are probably ok where they are. Also, if you have the handlebar clamps that sweep back towards the rider it is worth replacing these with conventional type (like those in the picture on previous page) as that also moves the bars forward and away from you and gives a bit more room in the'cockpit'.

Hope you get it up and running soon

Edited by Woody

you think the engine bolt is badly placed?? try changing the plug in the field, or even going nearf the plug when the engine is warm, theres about haly an inch of space under the fuel tank to get your hand into to take the cap off and remove the plug. theres been a few burnt fingers and a lot of swearing going on since i bought it :unsure: all i need now is the rings, which should be ordered within the next week, then ill be back off the road.........one thing i have found by the way is that the rear shocks seem to be very soft and i have bottomed them out a few times, and the forks seem to have a small leak

darn hijackers....nah its ok mate, feel free, its my topic. i dont need a full bike but if you have a set of piston rings ill gladly take them off your hands...........you got any spares for it, i need as many as i can find. my bike is complete but i might as well stockpile spare if i can

Selling it because i've too many projects and need the cash for the other bikes especially the B40 pre 65 project. Had the bike for a few years so not sure what it will fetch. All i can say is just keep an eye on the e bay listing and whatever it makes will be a guide for you when you sell yours. dont know how prices are over in the U.S. You did say you were in the U.S. didnt you?