Heat Dissipation

andy m

What is the general consensus re heat dissipation. I am building a B175 engine for trials, I am using a modified Fantic 200 cyl head which has a larger finned area etc, they can get hot during trials in the warm months and they are centre plug head. On the Fantic they were black, just wondering is it best to paint or get blasted to bare ally. ?? I will be painting the barrel and using a Suzuki TS185 piston. Thanks in advance.... :thumbup:

A freshly sand blasted surface gives the best heat dissipation. However this declines as aluminium oxide (anexcellent insulator) forms. Therefore for best long term dissipation a matt black paint is best.

I wonder what they (manufacturers) use to control / prevent oxide build up on the currently popular unpainted aluminium radiators? although maybe it is not such a problem as radiators never get anywhere near as hot as air cooled cylinder heads.

Cheers

I seem to recall official testing on this subject done " back in the day" which revealed little to no real difference in heat dissapation.

I doubt excess paint is good, yet the oxidation of bare metal is not either. If old paint were thick, I would strip and re-apply! :thumbup:

I seem to recall official testing on this subject done " back in the day" which revealed little to no real difference in heat dissapation.

I doubt excess paint is good, yet the oxidation of bare metal is not either. If old paint were thick, I would strip and re-apply! :thumbup:

Years ago we did dyno testing of coatings and found a flat black finish gave about a 15% reduction in internal heat. To reflect external heat source, a light color, like white, worked well.

Jon