Speedo

bondy

hi all im puting speedo on me 199A i no theres to ways you can mount the speedo can any one tell me witch is the best way? allso the speedo cabel is runing from the rear wheel witch way do i rout the cabel last time i tryed it i whent throw the loop on the swing arm across the bash plate. and up throw the loop on the frame but the cabel keeps poping out from under the magnot cover is there a beter way of routing the cabel so this dosnt happen? one more thing is how tight do i tighten the bottom.and top yoke nuts? i know they should be tightend up with a c spanner but havent got one. and dont no what size to get?

hi all im puting speedo on me 199A i no theres to ways you can mount the speedo can any one tell me witch is the best way? allso the speedo cabel is runing from the rear wheel witch way do i rout the cabel last time i tryed it i whent throw the loop on the swing arm across the bash plate. and up throw the loop on the frame but the cabel keeps poping out from under the magnot cover is there a beter way of routing the cabel so this dosnt happen? one more thing is how tight do i tighten the bottom.and top yoke nuts? i know they should be tightend up with a c spanner but havent got one. and dont no what size to get?

Best way to mount the speedo drive is still the rear, for mounting the cable, there should be welded steel ring (loop) near the mount for the side where you have to feed-trough the cable. (I believe that is the one you mentioned already in your posting).

Then there should be a second steel ring (loop) on the right side where the bash plate is mounted where you again should feed-trough the cable, see in the pic:

DSC09039.JPG

From then its up to you if you want to mount the speedo on the top of the upper fork clamp or at the left side of the front engine mount. The first solution is much better readable, the seond better hided.

Standard was the top mount, but many riders back then changed the position down to the left of the front engine mount because the speedo was better hided there and this position was standard with the older models up to 1974 I believe so you could simply order the bracket for this mount as a spare part.

For the top yoke nut I take a big ratchet socket for the yoke for the bearings I use a special spanner, you can take a small chisel too, but use it very carefully.

Best way to mount the speedo drive is still the rear, for mounting the cable, there should be welded steel ring (loop) near the mount for the side where you have to feed-trough the cable. (I believe that is the one you mentioned already in your posting).

Then there should be a second steel ring (loop) on the right side where the bash plate is mounted where you again should feed-trough the cable, see in the pic:

DSC09039.JPG

From then its up to you if you want to mount the speedo on the top of the upper fork clamp or at the left side of the front engine mount. The first solution is much better readable, the seond better hided.

Standard was the top mount, but many riders back then changed the position down to the left of the front engine mount because the speedo was better hided there and this position was standard with the older models up to 1974 I believe so you could simply order the bracket for this mount as a spare part.

For the top yoke nut I take a big ratchet socket for the yoke for the bearings I use a special spanner, you can take a small chisel too, but use it very carefully.

i need one off them special spanners can you sen photo and were can i get one from?

i need one off them special spanners can you sen photo and were can i get one from?

i have the loop on the rear i also have a loop on the left magneot side but dont think theres one on the right might be wrong dont no with out looking but im pritty sure there isnt. just geting back to the center nut i do have a normal nut for it but realy want to stop with the origanal ive had the yoks powder coated

We call it a Nutspanner = noth spanner/tensioner.

Looks like this for example:

pp111_MP_ShockNutSpanner.jpg

Here the page I found the one above on a US page,

(the German tool sites are maybe a little bit confusing),

so you might find something similar in the UK:

www.MotionPro.com

You can use them for some rear shocks too.

i have the loop on the rear i also have a loop on the left magneot side but dont think theres one on the right might be wrong dont no with out looking but im pritty sure there isnt. just geting back to the center nut i do have a normal nut for it but realy want to stop with the origanal ive had the yoks powder coated

If you want to mount the speedo at the upper "yokes" = forkclamp then you need the speedo mount, this piece works as a washer and will prevent any damage.

If you don't want to mount the speedo up there; instead mount the speedo to left of the front engine mount then you can place a little self made washer between nut and upper fork clamp to prevent damage.

Size of the washer: inner diameter: 25,5mm outer diameter: 40mm, thickness around 2,00 mm aluminium or 1,00 - 1,50 mm stainless steel

would be OK. This is what I did, (sadly no pictures), as I will mount my speedo near the front engine mount.

We call it a Nutspanner = noth spanner/tensioner.

Looks like this for example:

pp111_MP_ShockNutSpanner.jpg

Here the page I found the one above on a US page,

(the German tool sites are maybe a little bit confusing),

so you might find something similar in the UK:

www.MotionPro.com

You can use them for some rear shocks too.

oh yes i know were i can get one of theses cheers

If you want to mount the speedo at the upper "yokes" = forkclamp then you need the speedo mount, this piece works as a washer and will prevent any damage.

If you don't want to mount the speedo up there; instead mount the speedo to left of the front engine mount then you can place a little self made washer between nut and upper fork clamp to prevent damage.

Size of the washer: inner diameter: 25,5mm outer diameter: 40mm, thickness around 2,00 mm aluminium or 1,00 - 1,50 mm stainless steel

would be OK. This is what I did, (sadly no pictures), as I will mount my speedo near the front engine mount.

yes i do have the mount not made my mind up yet you can put them on the fork nut but i think ill have it in the center cheers. oh can you tell me witch is the best way to rout the speedo cabel from rear wheel?i know to rout it throw the loop on the rear witch way do i go from there? last time i tryed it i whent across the bash plate under the magneto case .and up throw the loop the engin wires go . and up to the speedo head only proplem is the cabel keeps poping out from under the magneto case it could easy get stuck on a branch or somthing

yes i do have the mount not made my mind up yet you can put them on the fork nut but i think ill have it in the center cheers. oh can you tell me witch is the best way to rout the speedo cabel from rear wheel?i know to rout it throw the loop on the rear witch way do i go from there? last time i tryed it i whent across the bash plate under the magneto case .and up throw the loop the engin wires go . and up to the speedo head only proplem is the cabel keeps poping out from under the magneto case it could easy get stuck on a branch or somthing

I believe there is not enough guidance for the speedo cable underneath the bash plate, I would mount an extra bracket/loop just near the swing arm so the speedo cable don't move to much under there. So any movement of the swing arm will not effect the cable so much. further on the cable is "only routed by the upper loop that is mounted near the ignition coil in the front. This set worked fine for me. I found a second pic, that shows the

rear loop just at the end of the bash plate:

DSC08233.JPG

In that area I would mount an additional loop/bracket if there isn't mount any.

I believe there is not enough guidance for the speedo cable underneath the bash plate, I would mount an extra bracket/loop just near the swing arm so the speedo cable don't move to much under there. So any movement of the swing arm will not effect the cable so much. further on the cable is "only routed by the upper loop that is mounted near the ignition coil in the front. This set worked fine for me. I found a second pic, that shows the

DSC08233.JPG

hi thanks are the fork seal on the photo easy to fit? there modan ones arnt they? there on ebay but ive allready fitted seal so may be next time

DSC08233.JPG

hi thanks are the fork seal on the photo easy to fit? there modan ones arnt they? there on ebay but ive allready fitted seal so may be next time

Yes the oil seals are different, instead of two standard is now one single oil-seal with a double lip and an outer

dust lip mounted. The double mounted oil seals did not last very long in my experience and have a stopp - loss momentum.

The different ones hopfully last longer and have a much less stop - loss momentum as the standard ones,

I additional sat oil-seal grease between the lips of the seal.

To fit the standard dust covers with these oil-seals you have to shave away the lowest lip of the three

inside the outer dust cover, this takes time as you have to be very carefully not to damage

the other two lips of the dustcover. Any damage to these lips will be visible on the stanchions as

the wiping effect will be lowered where they got damaged).

Looks like it should:

DSC08407.JPG

Ho Bondy

I had the same dilema 3 years ago.

Solution = Halfords cheapest bike speedo. Mount the magnet on one of the front wheel nearside spokes and using cable ties strap the sender to the inner face on the near side slider. Run the cable up the fork leg tie near the top of the slider and at a point just above the bottom yoke allow (enough lenght)for full extention. Then route up to the display mounted on the handlebars.

Apart from a change of battery it has been trouble free and given good service for 30 months, all for an outlay of

Edited by Triple_X

Ho Bondy

I had the same dilema 3 years ago.

Solution = Halfords cheapest bike speedo. Mount the magnet on one of the front wheel nearside spokes and using cable ties strap the sender to the inner face on the near side slider. Run the cable up the fork leg tie near the top of the slider and at a point just above the bottom yoke allow (enough lenght)for full extention. Then route up to the display mounted on the handlebars.

Apart from a change of battery it has been trouble free and given good service for 30 months, all for an outlay of

Yes the oil seals are different, instead of two standard is now one single oil-seal with a double lip and an outer

dust lip mounted. The double mounted oil seals did not last very long in my experience and have a stopp - loss momentum.

The different ones hopfully last longer and have a much less stop - loss momentum as the standard ones,

I additional sat oil-seal grease between the lips of the seal.

To fit the standard dust covers with these oil-seals you have to shave away the lowest lip of the three

inside the outer dust cover, this takes time as you have to be very carefully not to damage

the other two lips of the dustcover. Any damage to these lips will be visible on the stanchions as

the wiping effect will be lowered where they got damaged).

Looks like it should:

DSC08407.JPG

hi again question about your top yoke pinch bolts how do you tighten them up? because i want my bolts these way but the nuts wont go into the recess think the bolts go the other way round with nut on the out side but it dosnt look as good as the other way. on the lower yokes its ok? allso just going back to my speedo you can have them on the top fork nut what do you think? and if i wanted the speedo on the left side of the engin is there a bracket i can get to mount the speedo to the engin ? oh. and because i can only have the cabel from the rear wheel cabel would be to long to have it on the engin front wheel dosnt have speedo fitting? so looks like top yoke or left fork nut help :guinness: