Cooper Bantam

martin 305

Hi all just come back from wrighty's show :thumbup: and i found a cooper bantam frame in very good condition :bouncy: it also came with a pair of tank stickers i was told by the seller that it was a very small concern in the late 60s early seventies . Has any one got any info at all on these bikes ??? A picture would be amazing !! .I was thinking 32mm MP forks were used ?? not sure on hubs maybe the REH used on the wassell with chrome dunlop rims . Got a very neat little alloy tank painted white with it as a job lot not sure if its the original or not ??? any help with info would be amazing . Thanks in advance Martin

fantastic looking machine a credit to whom ever has done all the machining.

my question is why?.

The BSA bantam is a competitive machine and eligible for the greater majority of clubs championships and there are many clear pathways to follow or even divert slightly from to build a competitive machine.

regretably this excellent piece of engineering although welcome at most clubs events would have to be in the specials class.

as for a cooper bantam i have looked in all my contemporary literature and googled it to death but this thread is the only reference i can find to cooper bantams..

robsmith011a.jpgDoes it look anything like this?

Hi all just come back from wrighty's show :thumbup: and i found a cooper bantam frame in very good condition :bouncy: it also came with a pair of tank stickers i was told by the seller that it was a very small concern in the late 60s early seventies . Has any one got any info at all on these bikes ??? A picture would be amazing !! .I was thinking 32mm MP forks were used ?? not sure on hubs maybe the REH used on the wassell with chrome dunlop rims . Got a very neat little alloy tank painted white with it as a job lot not sure if its the original or not ??? any help with info would be amazing . Thanks in advance Martin

Hi Rokaria yes it looks very similar to your pic . IT has a oval swing arm with no snail cam chain ajuster , thats at the frame end , taper roller head stock bearings and looks to have been black from original . Thanks for the photo :thumbup:

Very very reminiscent of the one that John Orme used to ride here in the East Midlands way back when. The only other one i knew of belonged to an old school mate of mine and sometime Speedway rider Alan Molyneux from Long Eaton. Dont know what happened to either bike though. John Orme had some great results on his :thumbup:

Very very reminiscent of the one that John Orme used to ride here in the East Midlands way back when. The only other one i knew of belonged to an old school mate of mine and sometime Speedway rider Alan Molyneux from Long Eaton. Dont know what happened to either bike though. John Orme had some great results on his :thumbup:

Well spotted OTF, thought you might have picked up on the Cooper reference earlier though! The bike in the pic was the second Bantam frame manufactured by Bill Cooper from Derby but I don't know how many more he built. The original frame was made for John Orme and the second one was for Rob Smith, both Derby based riders. Rob always entered his bike as an 'Orme Bantam' but I believe the rest were referred to as a 'Cooper Bantam'.

If you don't get round to doing anything with it Martin, I'm sure either myself, OTF or Darren Cooper (Bill's son) would be happy to take it off your hands to preserve the Derby heritage.

Hi Guy's.

Is that the sidecar racing Bill Cooper? you are refering to. Good with a torch I seem to remember.

:icon_salut: Just took another look and it looks a lot like mine, I will take a photo today.

Regards Charlie.

Yes, it's the same Bill Cooper Charlie, sadly in very poor health nowadays.

Well spotted OTF, thought you might have picked up on the Cooper reference earlier though! The bike in the pic was the second Bantam frame manufactured by Bill Cooper from Derby but I don't know how many more he built. The original frame was made for John Orme and the second one was for Rob Smith, both Derby based riders. Rob always entered his bike as an 'Orme Bantam' but I believe the rest were referred to as a 'Cooper Bantam'.

If you don't get round to doing anything with it Martin, I'm sure either myself, OTF or Darren Cooper (Bill's son) would be happy to take it off your hands to preserve the Derby heritage.

Thanks for all the reply's :thumbup: it looks a very tidy frame and i shall be building it up over the next few months , but if i do decide to sell it i will let you both know .Time to start collecting bits me thinks !!

• 1 year later...

If anyone knows where there is a Cooper Bantam tucked away in a corner or is available please let me know. I would like to get hold of one of my dad bikes even if just the frame to build up. It would be a nice memory to have and use.

Cheers Steve