Air Filter Oil?

grib

Should you oil Fantic air filters? I have got a 240 at the moment and I have a vague recollection of Bill Pye telling me to run the filter dry with no oil, but that may have been for my 301 or 245 - can't quite remember. I am getting quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust at the moment and it gets a bit woolly when I open the throttle up a climb. I have just cleand the exhaust out thinking it could be that but I did a trial yesterday and it was still the same. I cleaned and oiled the filter recently (after 3 years not riding the bike) and am now wondering if that is the cause.

You may want to check the oil level in the gearbox ... Maybe time for main seals after sitting so long .

And what fuel/oil ratio are you running ? I run a K&N air filter in mine ,But the owners manual (in italian ) does mention Bel Ray Mc6 in the air filter service section and I know that is air filter oil !

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I have the owners manual(Bob Wright has the english version on his website to download), but I wanted to know what people are actually doing. I hope you are wrong about the crank seals - I dont fancy stripping the engine at the moment - too much to do. I will check how much gear oil is left, yesterday's trial was an 18 mile lap so if the clutch side seal is leaking it should show up.

YES; LIGHTLY OIUL THE FILTER AND YES THE MAIN BEARING SEAL IN GONE: tHE ENGINE NEEDS SPLITTING ON A 240 TO DO THIS:::QUITE STRAIGHTFORWARD THOUGH: pUT NEW MAINS IN AS A MATER OF COURSE-----.iF IT WERE me, A ROD ALSO: tHEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE HERE:::MAIL ME IF YOU NEED A SOURCE

CHEERS

lEE

YES; LIGHTLY OIUL THE FILTER AND YES THE MAIN BEARING SEAL IN GONE: tHE ENGINE NEEDS SPLITTING ON A 240 TO DO THIS:::QUITE STRAIGHTFORWARD THOUGH: pUT NEW MAINS IN AS A MATER OF COURSE-----.iF IT WERE me, A ROD ALSO: tHEY ARE NOT EXPENSIVE HERE:::MAIL ME IF YOU NEED A SOURCE

CHEERS

lEE

Don't know what the difference might be but I have changed the seals on a 200 without splitting the cases.

Don't know what the difference might be but I have changed the seals on a 200 without splitting the cases.

The clutch side seal is inside the main bearing on a 240, so unfortunately you have to split the cases. Lee do you know where I can get Viton crank seals from, if I am remembering correctly the last clutch side seal I put in wasn't Viton but the ignition side was.