Alfredo Gomez Says Good Bye To High Competition Trials

greeves

My point is, by the time they are ready for the world championship many have shown the cost, time and effort needed are not worth it.

Bou will get older and that may inspire more to keep going in a few years. "The numbers are a side issue" Bullshlt.

The cost is an issue, agreed.

Bou is getting older but the next 3 are much older and there are real podium places up for grabs for our British lads.

I meant that whatever rules you have there are never going to be more than 25 who can ride the top route period.

Unless you become top 3 in the world, you have no chance of recouping the investment made to get that good in the first place. All the riders Dabster mentioned were never going to be top three so quite wisely then dropped out.

My view is you can't look at trials as a career, Its just an expensive hobby.

Unless you become top 3 in the world, you have no chance of recouping the investment made to get that good in the first place. All the riders Dabster mentioned were never going to be top three so quite wisely then dropped out.

My view is you can't look at trials as a career, Its just an expensive hobby.

Yes AtomAnt, I agree with this you say.

But I think it is not right that dealers and factories play with the future of young persons promising them exactly that; a career in trials when they know for sure it is nothing but an expensive hobby.

"Broken toys" we called them here in Spain, some as Alfredo have skills enough to make a living out of other sports or activities, but most of them are real "broken toys" and for sure would made the most of themselves studying, preparing themselves for a future proffesion rather than throwing their time away practicing with a trials bike dreaming to make their living out of this sport.

Sad and unfair.

Yes AtomAnt, I agree with this you say.

But I think it is not right that dealers and factories play with the future of young persons promising them exactly that; a career in trials when they know for sure it is nothing but an expensive hobby.

"Broken toys" we called them here in Spain, some as Alfredo have skills enough to make a living out of other sports or activities, but most of them are real "broken toys" and for sure would made the most of themselves studying, preparing themselves for a future proffesion rather than throwing their time away practicing with a trials bike dreaming to make their living out of this sport.

Sad and unfair.

I don't see it's the factories fault for offering contracts. Contracts are open for negotiation of course and if you don't like it, you don't sign and I don't see many riders who are offered contracts turning them down unless a better offer is available.

I think its just an aspirational thing from the parents. Very natural of course to want to see your children do well at something,unfortunately if they choose trials then you need very deep pockets!