Whats The Crack Wae This Then?

rev`er

REcentl we have had light snow, and heavy frost up here in scotland

i went to start up my bike 2day and it started 1st time but it would not respond to any blip of the throttle until the bike was hot and the fan was on!

my mate has a beta and his is doing the same, is this normal for the beta`s in cold weather??

cheers

chris

REcentl we have had light snow, and heavy frost up here in scotland

i went to start up my bike 2day and it started 1st time but it would not respond to any blip of the throttle until the bike was hot and the fan was on!

my mate has a beta and his is doing the same, is this normal for the beta`s in cold weather??

cheers

chris

Frozen carb most likely............we get it every winter...........welcome to Scotland!

Ian.

Cheers Ian

is there any way to prevent it or do u just have to suffer wae it?

When you pull the bike out the van, start it up and let it tick-over (with the odd small rev up) for a good 10 minutes. Don't rev it much, and don't ride around on it.

What I think happens is that this allows the heat from the engine to spread to the carb and warm it up. Riding around on the bike immediately after getting it going just makes the carb get colder and colder, and once it gets down below a certain temperature it's really hard to get the heat back up again.....even if you leave it ticking over for ages.

Seems to do the trick in all but the coldest and frozen of days or unless the bike was pretty much frozen before you even started it up (read BillyT's hairdryer trick!)

You can also try wrapping an old rag around the carb and leave it there.

Ian.

Many years ago I was riding to work on a very cold frosty morning on my Norton Dominator when I came across a youngster ,wrapped up like a mummy, pushing an "L" plated Bantam along the road. I stopped, and a quick look showed the trouble to be an iced-up carb so I explained the time honoured fix of peeing on it to de-ice it. The learner seemed reluctant to follow the advice so I whipped out my own weapon and siphoned the python over the carb. A couple of kicks, the Bantam fired up and the owner rode off gratefully. About a week later I got a letter with a fiver enclosed from a local Police Inspector, thanking me for helping his daughter when her bike broke down!.

My dad says im not allowd to put the hairdryer on the carb as a spark could ignite the petrol vapour and ignite me + bike, so i rode around for a while trying to warm it up and nothing happened, burnt my hand touching the eghaust but the carb was still well cold?????????

What do i do, with out using the hair dryer??

Does the tick over for 10mins work IanJ